The eBay Pop!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Question for the techies in tMP land.

Lots of adverts on eBay say that "the slides move freely and give a healthy pop when removed".

Does this practice have a detrimental effect on the air tight nature of the slides?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, the pop is due to the equalisation of the air pressure. The more pronounced the pop the more likely there is to be an airtight seal.
  3. I see your point, i agree it means there is a more airtight seal, but does it actually REDUCE the seal over time if you do it again and again?
  4. andyfake

andyfake Member

It probably doesn't do the valves etc. any particular good to have those pressures put on them - I was always taught to put the valve down when removing slides. The "pop" is a good test of the seal though.
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, simple air presure will not wear down the metal. Constant pulling of slides will however cause friction which will, over time, wear down the slide and result in the seal getting less airtight. This is seen as normal wear and tear.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Ha! In my (sadly extensive) experience of buying trombones on eBay, very few have a slide even half as good as the seller suggests. I always factor a slide repair into the price!
  7. Colin D

Colin D Member

I think putting the valve down just makes it a bit easier to pull out the tuning slide, especially with trgigger slides on trombones etc. All the seals are due to the close fitting nature of the slides and the contact grease/oil, so air pressure shouldn't damage them.
  8. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Apparantly, with this one, you here a 'Plopp' (Scroll down and it's in English)