The earliest Christmas brass band gigs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

So then, which band had their first Christmas gig the earliest this year? Arran Brass have one tonight in Lamlash church but I suspect that's not going to be the winner, somehow! :) Anyone perform carols in November? Or earlier???)

Submit your entries now! :) :)
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We were out carrolling on the 27 and 28 of november.
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Good call!

Can anyone beat this? :)
  4. trombelle

trombelle Member

19th November (i THINK that was the date...i seem to have erased it form my memory for some reason....) ;)
  5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Our first one this year was on the 27th November...waaay too early for Christmas! At least wait until it's December! :shock:
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think the Beaumaris Youth , B and Intermediate bands recorded a Cd early in November..
    we did wait till December to put the concerts on tho,and very good they were too..... :)
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's my guess that whoever recorded carols for Casualty/Eastenders etc was probably the first - I believe the Casualty one last year was recorded round about the August bank holiday weekend :shock:
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We have a Christmas concert tonight for the ROUND TABLE but we will not be playing much Christmas stuff(THANK GOD):)

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We were playing carols on thurs 25th Nov (way too early!) in Campbeltown's Main St for the switching on of the lights, (did you not hear us accross the water Dave?!!) then had the Salvation Army Christmas service last night, tho with no conductor keeping us right for number of verses, the cornets+horns lost count and decided to stop after 4 verses of the 1st Noel, when we had another 2 to go!! Salvation Army women wasn't too pleased! :rolleyes:
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

We did our first Yuletide gig over the weekend, 4th Dec.
    I've a feeling Stiperstones Brass/Sabrina/Shropshire County cut their Xmas CD back in the summer sometime? July rings a bell...
  11. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

27th November for us lot. The excuse was that it was the night before Advent:shock:
  12. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I did a Messiah on the 4th. I know its not a band gig but its still early!
  13. rutty

rutty Active Member

We played four hours of Carols at MacArthurGlenn near Mansfield on Wednesday 24th November this year, though we did beat all these dates four years ago. Boots (or some other corporate entity) wanted to record some "motivational" video or something that year so hired us to play Carols in the Eagle Centre in Derby after hours. In JUNE.

I didn't feel particularly Christmasy.

I'm just pleased that we didn't play Little Donkey :)
  14. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Last year I recorded a xmas cd in March! It felt VERY odd..............
  15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We once recorded a Christmas CD in September so it'd be on sale by the time our December Concerts rolled around.

(You can click here to hear samples, see the programme and order it)

(BTW, you'll notice tMP is at the top of the links list :D)
  16. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We played carols for a christmas fair at a local old peoples home on 20th November
  17. Ali

Ali Member

Dobx were doing full blown christmas concerts starting on the 20th of November. Arrrrgh!!!! I am already sick of every christmas piece known to man and we have only got another 8 gigs to do within the next 2 weeks. Oh joy!
  18. Euphliz

Euphliz New Member

We were playing carols on the 21st November, which was way tooooo early for me
  19. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

A couple of years ago we had the band fireworks party, played a rememberance day service and did our first carolling session all within a week (in mid november)!
    This year we didn't start until the 5th Dec which is much better, I think!