The Dream Team

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Oct 24, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Which professional player (that hasn't regularly played or competed with a brass band) would you like to see in your band? There are many players I would put together (in a similar way Steven Mead has done with Battle Creek) to form a dream team. I'll start with my choice for principal cornet... the Russian virtuoso Sergie Nakariakov. His lyrical style and control of his instrument(s) never ceases to amaze me. He did a session for a CD recently with Fodens, but that hardly scratches the surface of his ability.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Dream Team
    player
    band
    way
    virtuoso
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'd quickly add Steve Sykes to the list. I think he may have played with Flowers at the areas last year, but really isn't affiliated with any band.

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Wouldn't mind sitting behind Dave Thornton, or down the line from Mark Frost...

5. brass journo

brass journo Member

Wynton Marsalis on top man, Jamie Prophet (ass. princ. BBC Phil) on bumper up - a shining young talent and a bander born and bred!

6. DublinBass

I'm think Dave Thornton plays with Black Dyke and Mark Frost plays with Grimethorpe, so I don't think they can count.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If your looking for a trombone player, I'd like to recommend Ivan Meylemans, principal trombone of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orchestra. He already made a guest appearance with YBS at the 2002 Europeans Gala Concert in Brussels and currently also conducts the Noord-Limburgse Brass Band here in Belgium. Amazing musician!

8. tim

tim Member

For trombone Ian Bousfield... I don't htink hes ever played regularly with a band... Feel free to correct me if im wrong though.

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

euhm, Brass Band Willebroek is playing a concert with Ian Bousfield soon, and on their website I read:

10. DublinBass

Rod Franks, trumpet player from the LSO is also quite a good cornet player. He would be another good one to have in there.

11. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

The Bottom End Of The Band, Would Have To Be "Sotto Voce"..
    American Tuba Quartet..

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Dream Team
    player
    band
    way
    virtuoso
  13. amgray

amgray Member

Ian Bousefield was principal trombone at Yorkshire Imps at the age of 15. He was with Imps until early 1982. He played at the 1982 Open with Hammonds Sauce Works.

He also played with Newham for 6 months until he got Principal trombone with the Halle.

Yep, I'm an anorak :)

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Do you know what? I completely failed to read that first post properly...

Well, in that case, I'd quite like to play in a section with messrs Berryman and Yeo... might need a few extra cornets for balance though... ;)

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You'd also have to be ready to switch to a narrower bore for the older material if Doug has his way!