The digital age and banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Neillyboy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

This may be a controversial post but good to see what fellow banders think.

I particularly enjoy listening to test pieces of all levels and age. However in order for me to source them, it would involve spending hundreds on CD's. Now I am aware that CD sales benifit bands and do tend to buy a lot, however test pieces are generally not featured.

I also subscribe to spotify. Here is where the issue lies. For 10 pounds a month i can load up around 800- 100 brass band pieces, however about 5 percent of that is test pieces. Very difficult to find.

Do you think that bands and associations should be trying to increase the number of pieces on spotify to make it more accessable to the average punter and to try create awareness??

Discuss.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test pieces
    number of pieces
    brass band pieces
    CD sales benifit bands
    average punter
  3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

*cough* benefit *cough* :p Dude, I've got loads of test pieces, what are you looking for?

It would be nice to have more brass tracks on spotify, yes :)

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

5. BariPower

BariPower Member

I've heard that artists get paid something like 0.0000001 pence per click on spotify, if thats the case it would take the bands a long time to earn anything back.

World of Brass or itunes maybe a better way for them to go ?

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Generally speaking artists earn about three pence in the pound from commercial music either way. Most of it goes to the record companies, marketers and publishers.

Hence why almost all bands produce their own CDs rather than go down the commercial route.

I'd be interested to hear how much of what is made from WOB finds it's way back to the bands. I reckon probably a fair whack as they wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds them, but obviously they have overheads to meet.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

WoB is just SP&S in disguise!

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper New Member

I uploaded two of our Foden's patrons choice albums (that we own the copyright etc for) to the company www.cdbaby.com. They then distribute to itunes, amazon etc and you get 100% of the sale price. it costs roughly £30 a cd to put on and in just over a month we've made the money of putting the cd's on there back and extra. What ever we get now is pure profit!!!