The Devils Gallop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Feb 21, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Anyone played The Devils Gallop or heard it recently? I heard it being played the other day and immmediately thought of Dick Barton Special Agent, I know 95% of tMP's was not born then but someone must have listen to it, I remember laid in bed in hospital and nurse's having the wireless on or was it the crystal set, after doing a bit of a sum it must have been about late 1940 to early fifties.

I think this is one thread which will be blank, other than the comments "I was not born then" but here goes.

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nope, I wasn't born then :D ......

.....but I'm familiar with the concept.....same thing as associating the Finale from William Tell with The Lone Ranger ;)

Last time I played it was with a scratch band from Fodens / YBS and others.....but that must be 10 years ago I guess.

3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I wasn't born until the late 50's but I definitely remember hearing this on the Radio circa late 60's early 70's.

;)

4. KMJ Recordings

It was definitely on at some point post decimalisation or I wouldn't have heard it ;)

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

:eek:

6. dotsguard

dotsguard New Member

7. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I looked on the Web for any information and found a site which stated that it was the signature for Dick Barton with Jock and Snowey and ran between 1946 --1951, there was no swearing or sex, they brought it out again in 1976 with modern twist but it never lasted long.

When I typed in Dick Barton it brought up a Adult site??? I wonder why lol

8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

It's on "Pratty Flowers" by Hepworth.
    Check their website.

9. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

As did Tredegar

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...and (as we seem to be talking about recordings of it) so did Brittania Building Society Band on their Year of the Dragon CD. BTW anyone know who arranged it? I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself as I think its a great piece.

As for the show itself, I might be wrong here, but wasn't it briefly turned into a Sunday night TV show too in the early/mid 80's? I vaguely remember my Mum saying she loved the radio show and couldn't wait for it to get onto the telly, but when it did it was really disappointing. Is that right? Anyone else here remember that?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Devils Gallop
    Dick Barton
    Devils Gallop Anyone
    tMP
    bit
  12. KMJ Recordings

I believe the arrangement that BBS were playing was that of Mr Snell (funnily enough ;) )

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ah. Right. Well that would make sense then, wouldn't it...:oops: