The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Jul 19, 2008.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Wow!! what a great film...I realize that I have seen it about a week before it is released in the UK (so there won't be any spoilers here)...but...wow!

This movie could've been a simple comic book flick, but even without any superheroes it was an incredible crime movie/drama/modern-day political allegory.

Personally, I'd love to see the Oscars consider it for "Best Picture" and Heath Ledger for "Best Supporting Actor"

Your thoughts?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Dark Knight
    UK
    Best
    wo
    drama
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I am really looking forward to this movie.

I remember thinking that the batman films were immense when I was younger until they brought out Batman Begins...

Then I thought the old movies were actually quite bad and a bit camp.

When I heard they were doing the whole lot after Batman Begins I was thought it would be fantastic!

Apparently the makers of Ironman are remaking The Highlander...

4. DublinBass

I remember the first Batman movie (cerca 1965). It was a joke. I was so glad when the Tim Burton movies came out because they were much closer to what the character should be. I think even the second one with Danny Devito (penguin) and Michelle Pfeifer (catwoman) was pretty good.

However, Chris Nolan has really taken it to a new level and I'm glad they started this third installment as well.

5. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Have My tickets booked already for friday night to see The Dark Knight (thursday was sold out).

I thoroughly enjoyed Batman Begins and most of the Batman films after Tim Burton, batman and robin being the only exception cause I couldn't take it seriously once they gave the Batsuit, Bat nipples.

6. DublinBass

Funny you should mention the nipples

"As a joke, one bat suit was made with nipples, as in Batman & Robin (1997). It was presented to Christian Bale as the real bat suit, but he knew instantly it was a joke, having seen a few design pictures during preproduction. He did pose for some publicity photos in the "nipple" suit." IMDB

7. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Saw it out here in Hawaii last night not really expecting much...and it was incredible!! I haven't come away from a movie that impressed in a long long time!

Absolutley amazing film, and Heath Ledger played out of his skin, particularly liked the parts of Lucius and Alfred!

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I'm going to see it on Saturday night, I can't wait.

9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree completely, I saw the film last night and I was absolutely gripped throughout. It took Batman to a whole new level, I didn't know how they could beat Batman Begins, but they managed it!

Ledger was fantastic, I can't see how he won't get an oscar for his performance. There were several strong performances, but his Joker is the most sinister and undoubtedly evil portrayal of the character yet - first class and more!!!!

10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it won't win any Oscars because it hasn't got any gay cowboys who play the mandolin or anything like that.

11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Because he's dead. Only six actors have ever received a posthumous nomination and of those only one (Peter Finch for Network) has ever actually won. That plus the fact that the academy tends to overlook the summer blockbusters when compiling the list.

Having said all of the above I would love to see Heath Ledger winning the Oscar for best supporting actor.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Dark Knight
    UK
    Best
    wo
    drama
  13. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Watched it last night!

Fantastic film. Absolutely fantastic.

14. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Watched it on friday night. Excellent film.
    I think I agree it won't be anywhere near the oscars cause summer films generally don't get anywhere near them but it was everything i could have hoped for.

Action, drama and a little bit of comedy. I'm gonna have to practice that pencil disapearing trick.
    Shame about the end though.

15. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Mark and I went to see it tonight at the IMAX. Amazing..... except there was a power cut in the cinema about 5 minutes before the end! We still don't know what happens! We'll have to wait till we get back from Paris and watch it all over again!

Jayne

16. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

What's the matter with the end?

17. AussieBandie

AussieBandie New Member

It kind of peeters off, However it does make for a good opening into the next Batman Movie. Heath Ledger is a WA boy and does an amazing job as the Joker in The Dark Knight. Posthumous oscar, definitely. By the way has anyone here seen WALL-E. I want to see it but it comes out in September in Australia. I want to see it NOW!!!!

18. slidegrease

slidegrease New Member

I've seen WALL-E, it's good, but you might as well watch the advert over and over again as it contains most of the best bits unfortunately...

19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Wish I knew. I was watching it on line yesterday and it ended as Dent was taken off to County! If someone would like to pm me with a synopsis of the end I'd be obliged.

Overall I wasn't that impressed with the film.