The Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by el maestro, May 20, 2006.

1. el maestro

el maestro Member

Just been to see this for my birthday - I was wondering what everyone else thought of it?

I thought it was excellent - the best film since LOTR!

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Book was very good, looking forward to seeing the film when I get some free time...;) tell us a little more about it pls.

3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Just got in from seeing it..... jury is still out!.... Was very good, but had to cram a lot of book into a 2 hour film, so some bits were a little confusing, id imagine, if you havent read the book....
    Tom Hanks is excellent, as is Audrey Tatou!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I enjoyed it (BTW I have read the book so I don't know if that affects things positively or negatively)

5. el maestro

el maestro Member

Well, I haven't read the book yet (I started it today) and I could understand it pretty easily. I thought it was really good - there was action, suspense and bits that you had to think about, and it was never boring.

My friends said they'd managed to stay quite faithful to the book too, which is good.

6. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Saw it yesterday morning, quite enjoyed it, but was still a bit :-? about it all!
    Just thought there were a load of details that they changed in the film that didn't need to be, only small things but still- Sophie Neveu has a RED smart car for one! When she has a flashback to her bday when her grandfather leaves clues, it leads her to a bike not a small box, and when they study her grandfathers body at the beginning it's not Robert that does all the solving out! :-?
    Also thought they could've just extended it by half and hour, and just broadened a lot of key scenes, but overall I enjoyed it, but could have been just that bit better!

7. Rebolina

Rebolina New Member

Well after fighting my way through protestors sticking leaflets in my hand telling me I would go to hell if I watched the film.....I throughly enjoyed it. Not quite what I expected after reading the book but I though 'Sophie' was very good, and some of the visual effects were suberb!! Did any one else experience protesters outside? I live in the middle of nowhere and couldn't belive that so many turned up!!

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  8. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

HAHAHHAHAHAH, Oh my god! Alex mate, you need to focus on something else, that is rather sad!!!!

I'm going to see it Tuesday after my visit to see the ladies from Girls Aloud on Monday, now that IS going to be sad, but so good at the same time!

9. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I'm planning on going to see it this week. I'm always a bit apprehensive about films made from books though so I'll be interested to see how they do it.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well last week on our Local Tv Station Central they had a represenative from the Catholic Church and a former editor of the Birmingham Post they were going at each other like two nutters .
    Good entertainment value if nothing else:biggrin:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Da Vinci Code
    LOTR
    best film
    birthday
    thought
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Oi! :oops: Having read the book though it is annoying to find that simple details weren't stuck to- it's like going to see the Harry Potter films and him having a scar on his bumcheek rather than his forehead!!! ;)

13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

LOL! I wouldn't quite go that far...but I know what you mean. I think!
    Saw the film today, thought it was pretty good, they missed a fair bit out but it was longer than the average film anyway, and I think they managed to keep most of the important parts. Only bit I found disappointing was that they completely missed out the tiiiiny fact that her brother was still alive :confused: Thought that was a bit poor! Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention...but either way I didn't think it was much of an ending.

14. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

At least it wasn't as bad a Hanibal, that left ALL the good bits out. Like when they go into detail about the pigs eating the bloke alive....nice...yuck

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

So am I. They're usually made from videotape. ;) :)

Actually, how about The Davina Code? The code that needs to be cracked being the minds of TV producers who let Ms McCall loose on our TV screens. I can't work it out!!

:)

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Was the brother meant to stay alive? I don't remember that from the book :-?
    But I thought it was good the monk was scary though...

17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

In the book, she discovered her mother and brother living in Scotland. Don't want to say too much else, because it would spoil it for those that haven't read the book yet.

I'm definitely going to see the film this week. Thought the book was ace.

18. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

ooh looking forward to seeing the flm, though im not sure it can match the book! i read it a few weeks back, and was the 1st book i'd read since my GCSE english lit exam, but it was really good! the book was so packed full of stuff though, that im not sure how they can ffit it all into a film ... :rolleyes: oh well, will have to go and see for myself i guess!

19. I went to see it at the weekend with a friend of mine who has also read the book, and even after 2 days thinking about it, i'm still not sure of the translation to film. If you haven't read the book it's a brilliant film, but it didn't have the suspense that was in the book.
    When you read it, you just can't put it down, you just have to read one more chapter to find out whats happening, but in the film, even though i knew roughly what was going to happen, i don't think they played on peoples anticipation very well. like when (don't worry won't reveal anything) near the end when in that church - probably the main twist in the whole story, it just was a bit of an anti climax.
    Tom Hanks was ok, but he was no Robert Langdon, for some reason i pictured a rugged, quite handsome man, George Clooney-esque.
    Paul Bettany and Ian McKellan were both brilliant.

20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Oooooh! Tom Hanks? He's absolutely gorgeous! Much better than George Clooney. Apart from when he was in Forest Gump and Philladelphia :biggrin: , Tom Hanks makes my heart go fluttering everytime I see him. Such intensity!! :D