The Cross - Leizden - MP3

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by P_S_Price, Mar 26, 2010.

1. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Hi,

I Play for Rochdale Salvation Army Citadel Band and we are currently rehearsing "The Cross" by Eric Leizden for Easter (which is almost upon us).

Its not a new piece, but is 121 in the Festival Series, and you would think that having been in SA Bands, and connected with SA Bands since 1968 that I would have played or Heard it, but No, It didnt spring to mind when we started it.

In anycase when we start rehearsing a Piece, I like to obtain a recording of it so that we can use it to get familiar with it.

Although I have identified that the Washington DC National Capital Band recorded this Piece on their 1990 Album - 'Monuments.....' The CD appears to be out of press and I havent been able to track down a copy of it to buy.

I have tried to contact the NCB to see if there is anybody there who might be able to send me an MP3 of that one track, but no Luck there either.

TMP is now my last hope. Is there anybody out there who can help me with an MP3 of the track/Piece?

Thanks

2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Never Mind guys n gals, Robert Schramm Web Meister of the NCB and Brass cast came through for me. Thanks Robert

3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's I acquired an LP of the ISB recorded live on tour in Norway. The Cross was among the items included (as was what I recall to be a scintillating performance of the Dean Goffin cornet solo Victorious by Terry Camsey). The record was not the greatest quality but I recall The Cross as being a very moving piece of music.

I've often wondered why there is no recording of Easter Music written for bands; loads of Christmas but, to my knowledge not a single one for Easter (other than one I compiled for myself that is).

Any thoughts on why?

4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

London Citadel Band did a recording some years back called "Trilogy" which featured some great old Easter Classics - Challenge of the Cross etc. Well worth a listen if you can get hold of it. Would love to hear another band do a "YBS" and record some more of those old classics.

(Sorry Mods - Phil / Essex Elvis on Leyfy's log-in )

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is a SA site, Salvo Audio, dedicated to archive recordings and a quick search found a recording by Coventry Citadel band. You can access it here.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Trilogy" was recorded by Ottawa Citadel Band, not London Citadel, but I agree it is a good recording. As to why there have been no specifically Easter recordings, I would suggest that it does not offer the opportunity for variety and range of moods that Christmas does. There have been several, though, that have traced a progression from Creation, through Nativity and Ministry, culminating in Easter, Resurrection and Ascension.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

The Irony is I am aware of that site. Just never thought to look under the Coventry entry

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Easier just to use the search facility for the title of the piece. Good collection of recordings there.