The cost of banding...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Mar 29, 2011.

how much did you spend on banding in 2010?

1. < £1000

2. £1000 - 2000

3. £2000 - £3000

4. £3000 - 4000

5. £4000 - £5000

0 vote(s)
  6. £5000 +

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Following on from comments in a few other threads on subs and the cost of contests, petrol etc, how much does this hobby cost YOU?

Roughly how much did you spend in 2010 on subs, petrol or coaches to rehearsals, gigs and contests, overnight stays, instrument repairs etc etc.... NOT counting major one-off purchases like new instruments?
  2. Owen S

Owen S Member

Nice idea Alex, though I think the low end should have been split up more.

I reckon that I come in at just under £1000, including subs, four nights in hotels (two nights in Cornwall, two in Harrogate) and travel.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Being absolutely serious, the biggest cost I have in being a member of my band is the couple of post practice pints at the local pub.
    Take the beer out of the equation and its probably less than £120 per year.
  4. Accidental

You may have a point there - maybe should have had 0-500 and 500-1000? I have absolutely no idea how to change these things though....!

Bighorn - do you live in your bandroom or something?!!
  5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Less than a mile away.
  6. Di B

Di B Member

I gave up partly due to travel expense.

Being in a band 45 miles away hurts nowadays.

Thats 180 miles a week excluding contest rehearsals, sectionals and concerts.

£25 a week basic... plus another £12 a week say for other practices/concerts and £200 pa for overnight stays.

37x52 = 1924 + 200 = £2124 IF petrol stops the same as it is now....
    .....and I haven't had a pay rise in years
    .....and I haven't accounted for subs a realistic estimate of £177 pcm no wonder I have quit!
  7. Wel Buying a Rath and teh price of fuel has put me in the top bracket for last year... Hopefully will be a lot less this year. But at 65 miles round trip to band plus gigs and contests... well it ain't cheap is it.

Won't stop me though.
  8. Accidental

I'm already surprised how many have ticked the highest box tbh.....
    How much difference does that make? ;)
  9. MattyWrigley

MattyWrigley New Member

I prefer not to think about this to be honest. 48 mile round trip to band twice a week, 6 times in the week if its a contest, then theres the other bits.... petrol is a killer
  10. winterman

winterman Member

I spend nothing on transport (apart from pints in return for whoever drives me to gigs etc)..

However, do you include in this.. Music bought, essential items to keep the band room standing, phone calls, time taken off work unpaid and so on?
  11. Accidental

Yes - any money you wouldn't personally be spending/losing if you weren't in banding.
    I only excluded big one-offs like new instruments because they're not something you buy frequently, and they could triple (or more) a year's spending!
  12. winterman

winterman Member

Ta.. Gone with a conservative estimate as I honestly couldn't tell you.
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Let's see. Two rehearsals a week (summer/christmas break more or less cancels out extra contest reheasals) so call that 104 rehearsals a year.

42 mile round trip (about a gallon and a quarter in my car)
    4.55 litres in a gallon x 1.25 = 5.7 litres of petrol
    £1.29 a litre (at the cheapest) for petrol round our way = £7.35 a rehearsal.
    £7.35 x 104 rehearsals = £764.40 per year on fuel (not including gigs)

Once concert/contest mileage etc is thrown in, basically about grand a year on petrol alone.

With everything else considered and the music I've paid for/printed for bands in the past, valve felts, springs, guides etc. that I've bought for band instruments and not claimed back for and all the stuff like that we all generally do to keep things running, probably the lower quartile-second quartile of the second group. Between £1200 and £1500 a year.
  14. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

As of current it doesn't cost me anything due to the fact that my parents are kindly paying for my subs and as my mum's also in the band I don't pay for petrol because I can either get a lift or be taken to band by my mum if she's going. We also live quite close to band - 40 minute round trip.
  15. euphojim

euphojim Member

It seems like most respondents have worked out their travelling costs based only on the fuel element and so I have done the same bringing mine in at just under £1000.

But if you take the full cost of the 5,000 miles I travel banding, it is nearer to £5000 for me. Even based on marginal costing (ie I would pay the road tax and insurance whether I went to band or not), the wear and tear, tyres, servicing and depreciation cost me far more than the fuel alone.

Even with the rising cost of fuel I still think it is money well spent.