The Christmas Spirit

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack E, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening, I went round the pubs in our town with our band, playing Christmas carols in the local pubs - I was one of those going round with a collecting pot, raising funds to pay for instruments to loan (free of charge) to learners who don't have their own instruments. In every pub, without exception, the band was made welcome; the people joined in singing the carols; when the band played tunes like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, people were dancing; in one pub, the bar staff gave the band a fistful of money from their tips jar (and no, it WASN'T the manager who took it from the staff!); and the people applauded every number, and wished us all 'Happy Christmas'!

This morning, the band was out again, playing Christmas carols and tunes around the town - and it was the same story. People came out of their houses into driving wind and drizzle to listen, to join in, wish us 'Happy Christmas', and give - VERY generously - to band funds. There were only about a dozen coins in my collecting pot - the bulk of it was folding stuff! :)

Apart from the Great War (when the entire band enlisted), they've done this every year since 1861 - and have every intention of continuing to do so!

Now, you might think, "Yes, but I bet the band is almost entirely old codgers, and what happens when they die?"

More than half the main band is under 25; a third of them are still of school age; the two youngest are 12 years old; and a whole bunch of players in the juniors are under 7 years old, and making excellent progress! :p

So a fortissimo raspberry to the cynics - and a very 'Happy Christmas!' to everyone else! :)

Jack

mojo, Matthew and Aussie Tuba like this.
  2. Fettler

Fettler Member

What a wonderful thing, long may it continue.

3. julian

julian Active Member

Great to hear, Jack. This is the sort off stuff that that bring people together and builds communities. Well done!!

4. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

A lovely thing to hear. Our band does similar.
    I'd urge every band to apply for charity status as it opens up these type of opportunities.

Matthew and Jack E like this.
  5. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

That's a very good point, 4th Cornet - especially as it means that you can reclaim the tax previously paid by donors. So, if a donor who is a tax payer gives you £10, you can reclaim £2.50 of the tax they've already paid, which effectively ups their donation to £12.50!

With best regards,

Jack

6. julian

julian Active Member

It is also a requirement that any group collecting door to door or out in the street has a permit from the local authority (this is not the case in private premises such as pubs or supermarkets). A return showing the amount collected will also be required.
    It is far easier (and mandatory in some authorities) for such a permit to be issued if the organisation is a registered charity. A copy of the groups certificate of public liability insurance is also usually required.
    The gift aid scheme that 4th cornet is talking about is also very helpful, but it must be administered properly. Each donor must sign the correct form indicating their personal gift. They must be a U.K. tax payer and they must have paid more tax than the you are claiming or they may be liable for any shortfall. The charity also has a responsibility of care to ensure that donors are informed of this and that they administer their claims correctly or there could potentially be a liability for the charity.

4th Cornet likes this.
  7. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

It's more important for the points raised by Julian; I wasn't even thinking about the gift aid benefit.

8. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I didn't mention the gift aid scheme. I was meaning the same points that you raised.

9. julian

julian Active Member

Sorry, 4th Cornet. I misread the thread slightly. It was Jack that was hinting at the git aid scheme. But it's helpful for all organisations of charitable status (including bands) to know about it. It's all extra income!

4th Cornet likes this.
  10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this has made me weak with laughter. Can think of a few candidates who could apply for this scheme!

Slider1 and Jack E like this.
  11. julian

julian Active Member

Hmm. Genuine typo, but I had to laugh myself when I re-read what I had posted!
    If we haven't got the ability to laugh at ourselves then all is lost!!!!

Mesmerist likes this.
  12. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

My missus has got me enrolled already:):):)

midlandman and Mesmerist like this.
  13. mojo

mojo Active Member

Well done to you all very heartwarming to hear may it continue best wishes to you all

14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Surely not? How rude of her!

Slider1 and midlandman like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice