The British Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by mjwarman, May 23, 2007.

1. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I thought i'd start the conversation early on this one.

First things first.... Does anyone know when tickets are going on sale? I have been checking the Symphany Hall website daily in the hope that it will be soon, but no luck. I'm pretty sure that I had already bought mine by this time last year? :-?

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I reckon it should be any day now. I think they prefer to wait until the entries have been settled, which should be the case now the Grand Shield has taken place, and they can work out the timings now the test piece has been announced. Should be a good day, and a good line-up for the Sunday concert as well, tickets for which are already available.
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

According to the advertisement in the Grand Shield/Senior Cup/Senior Trophy Contest programme, tickets for the British Open go on sale on the 5th of June (surprisingly, as that is on a Tuesday).
  4. Active Member

Once you've got your tickets, or before if you like, why not buy your study score in advance of the day and avoid the queues!

The study scores were available for the first time at the Grand Shield last weekend and are now listed on the World of Brass website.

As, I think, is usual for British Open study scores, 10% (£1) will be donated to the Mortimer Trust for each study score sold prior to and at the British Open Brass Band Championship 2007.
  5. Is it available to buy this weekend at the masters?

Is there going to be any recording of it before the open on a cd?

6. Active Member

Should be, yes.

No because it's a new commission.
  7. sally22

sally22 New Member

Is there a list of competing bands anywhere? Thanks.
  8. yoshi77

yoshi77 Member

Aveley and Newham
    Black Dyke
    Brighouse and Rastrick
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery
    Cory Band
    Desford (Aggregate Industries)
    Fodens Richardson
    Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal)
    Hepworth Lanson Holmes
    Polysteel Band
    Reg Vardy
    Rothwell Temperance Band
    Scottish Co-op
    Sellers International

Looks to be a really good contest this year. An excellent line up of bands and a fantastic test piece should make a excellent contest.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Anybody had a look through the study score yet?

Whats the piece like?
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It looks to be a good test, with plenty for everyone to get their teeth into. Some obvious similarities with St Magnus, with the theme recognisably present, albeit often in a distorted form, and plenty of unison runs etc. Not too many exposed passages, but it will test a band's ability to play together, and to link solo passages one with another. Nice section where the bass trombone starts things off, and top trom needs a solid upper register.
  11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I've thumbed through the score several times. It looks to be another cracker - fabulous timp part again.

Eb Tubas need a good solid register - goes to top C's regularly.

Although I can't help feeling it's a bit like St Magnus re-visited. Having said that - I don't really care as I loved St Magnus.

I wonder which band will win for the longest percussion crescendo in to the last fff chord?? :D

And.......I wonder whether bands will actually hold the last note for the 12 crotchet beats it's written for at crotchet = 96 and getting slower :eek:

Thoroughly looking forward to hearing it.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  12. yoshi77

yoshi77 Member

It looks to be a good piece. It starts with all cornets at piano on the Gerontios theme with crotchet = 88. It builds up to poco pui moso with dynamics marked at ff. 13 bars later and the next section, maestoso, crotchet = 80, begins. Again this is loud. Rall 4 bars later to Allegro con energia which is cornet lead at mf with crotchet = 136. Letters D to to H is technically difficult with hard xylophone features. It then ralls into I which is a solo for s.cornet 3. The theme returns gradually getting slower to Semplice, crotchet = 74 which is the theme marked at piano. It builds up like the begging into a short lyrical section Con Calore crotchet = 66. Attacca into con energia crotchet = 100. Technically hard again especially solo cornets and xylophone. Bongos add rhythm and pulse at O with chromatics and arpegios running through the band. Timp roll marked ff lead to letter P marked piano but no tempo change. Tom toms and xylophone come blazing in at ff then pp again. I builds up to R marked andante con calore crotchet = 84 and features solos from rep, solo cornet and trombone. Delicate horn feature before then accel to con moto crotchet = 104. Heavy euph and timp work. W) All marked ff with contrasting triplets and dotted rhythms. Dies and ralls into adagio. K) Piu moso crotchet = 84 features fanfare like triplets startin at mp and ending at ff. Y is much the same but accels to Z marked Giocos d.crotchet = 76 and is a s.cornet feature. Lower band take over then horns at AA. Continues like this (triplets) to DD. Cornet and euph duet marked mp take over. Suddenly ff on chromatics. FF) 3rd s.cornet solo with interval jumps. Lower band get much the same before cornets take over marked piano and end section. GG sees the return of the theme. Gradually builds LL which is much like D. Trills, runs etc. lead to massive C Major chord to end.
  13. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Cracking run down on the piece - the G6 aural tests you just took sjould be No problem if you conveyed your understanding in a similar way to this post (unless of course this is your Dad signing in under your name which given your age and the time of night I hope so!)

Anyway, it sounds a good piece
  14. eanto

eanto Member

I think a very comprehensive analysis from Yoshi77! Thank you! This will be my first ever live attendance with championship section rated bands after 32 years playing!. Can't wait!!:clap:
  15. yoshi77

yoshi77 Member

Thanks Kris - see you tonight.
  16. Di

Di Active Member

The British Open has now been added to the Predictathon, so get those thinking caps on and get predicting. :)
  17. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

That's if me and Sam remember to come a pick you up!!! ;)

Looking at the line up it will be a great contest!
  18. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Whats the test piece this year and what date is the Open?
  19. les

les Member

Visions of Gerontius - 15th September 2007

MD Eccles Borough Band
  20. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Thanks for that. Damn got a concert that night so can't go!!!! :cry: