The British Army Brass Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by WagTheStick, Oct 16, 2007.

1. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

The British Army Brass Band debut at Pontins

The British Army has formed a Brass Band which will make its debut at this years Harry and Margaret Mortimer Championships at Pontins performing 2 concerts. The Band was conceived out of a desire for many of the Army’s brass and percussion players to revisit their musical roots. Many Army musicians already play in civilian brass bands up and down the country, as they have done for countless years. It was felt right that the British Army should have an outstanding brass band of its own.

The British Army Brass Band (BABB) represents all the regular bands of the British Army. The musicians are selected from a pool of the best brass and percussion players from across the Corps of Army Music.

The main aim of the BABB is to recruit for the Corps of Army Music and the Army in general. The BABB is also intended to serve as a showcase for the many excellent brass players within the Army, the largest employer of musicians in the country. The musical leadership comes from Warrant Officer Class One (WO1) Dave Barringer and WO1 Chris King, both established professional brass band conductors.

Back in July, having heard about the formation of BABB, the organisers of the Pontins Brass Band Championships invited BABB to provide two concerts at the 2007 Championships.

Everybody is warmly encouraged to chat with the members of BABB over the Pontins weekend. They should be easy to spot, wearing either black polo shirts with ‘Army Musician’ printed on the back or in their immaculate dress uniforms! Failing that, please visit them at the Corps of Army Music stand which will be in the main entrance all weekend.

The Band’s Official Launch concert will take place at the Prince’s Hall in Aldershot on Sunday 18th November at 3pm. Tickets are free and can be reserved by contacting WO1 Chris King in one of the ways listed below or by visiting the Corps of Army Music recruiting stand which will also be at the Royal Albert Hall for the National Finals.

WO1 Chris King
    Royal Military School of Music
    Kneller Hall
    TW2 7DU
    020 8744 8662

Attached Files:

2. MAW

MAW Member

I heard them on Saturday night at Pontin's and they were excellent.
    Well done and Thank you for a great Concert. :clap:
  3. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I thought that the lads and lasses of the Army Brass Band were excellent.I spoke to both conductors and praised them on their performance and hope to hear them again at some of our big contests.
    Well done to all who played,even though there are difficulties trying to get and keep everyone together.EXCELLENT!!!!
  4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I missed the concert yesterday as we were having a meal at the hotel, but I heard some of the rehearsal. What a sound! Well done guys and gals!
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Well done guys, it was great - especially Mr King's wagging and Andy Porter's fabulous Pantomime.... it was nearly as good as your performance with Friary! :clap:
  6. marchris6047

marchris6047 Member

Well, What can you say, Other than PHENOMENAL !!
    it was a fantastic concert well done, it was great!!
  7. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Wow - I heard this band at Pontins on the weekend and they are some outfit with notable performances from Euph and Sop. Look forward to hearing them again soon and hopefully next year at Pontins ...or perhaps Butlins in Jan? Cheers guys!
  8. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

Thank you for all the positive comments. We had a great time. If we can remind you all that our FREE launch concert is in Aldershot on 18th November (see post in the Auditorium)

Also many people have asked about our Work Experience courses which were promoted at the weekend. Details can be found at:

Thanks again for all your support.
  9. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

I also heard you guys on saturday night at Pontins. It was amazing! I actually hate birdland when we play it at band but listening to it on sat was great!
    Well done guys!
  10. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

You hate Birdland, shame on you, i`m sure we play it lovely, what a great evening saturday, The army band were great, I enjoyed it so much.
    A concert with a bar, what a great idea.
  11. Welsh Guards Band

Welsh Guards Band New Member

If the British Army Brass Band performances wet your appetite don't forget that the bands of the Household Division (Guards Bands) are holding open days on 30th and 31st January 2008 in London.

If you’re a quality brass player aged between 16-37, want a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a diverse career, turn your passion into a profession.

Interested? Why not come and have a look at us?