The Book Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MrsDoyle, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I thought maybe it's time for some intellectual discussion, so as an ex-librarian I thought I'd introduce the subject of books to this forum.

I recently bought Rebuilding Coventry by Sue Townsend. I must say I wasn't sure what to expect, only having read Sue's comedy books, but was pleasantly surprised. The book was deliciously dark and extremely enjoyable, and the plot twists were unexpected and pleasant. The book was easy to read and the language used was to my taste - not oversimplified at all. I would personally recommend that all of you go out now and buy this book - it truly is excellent. Good value too - I picked mine up for 20p at the Animal Rescue sale.

Do you have any to recommend?
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I have recently started to read 'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy McNabb. It's become an essential part of our bedtime routine in that I read a few pages of his experiences at the hands of his Iraqi captors to the better half just before she slaps me round the head and offers me a sultana and some water from a dirty pitcher.
  3. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

"lord of the flies" is a good book. it's rather thought provoking because of the topic.....
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Then you should read ''The One That Got Away'' by Chris Ryan
  5. andyp

andyp Active Member

If you're into military history and the like, "Through Fire and Water" is one of the best I've read recently. It's the story of HMS Ardent, up to her sinking in the Falklands conflict, told by her crew. Well written, humorous and moving in places. HMS Ardent didn't get the headlines that some of the other sinkings got, but it's a story that stands with any of them.
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I just read Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie - good read...although gets a bit bogged down about football...funny enough though...recommended!
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is a fascinating book whether you are a theist or an atheist. The logical arguments about whether god exists, what is proof, the special place given to religion etc. are really thought provoking. I seem to keep reading it over and over.

As for fiction (sci-fi), have recently read 'Dying Inside' by Robert Silverberg, which is not as depressing as it sounds. About a telepath who is slowly losing the thing that has defined his existance.
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Joel C. Rosenberg - The Last Jihad and subsequent books in a series. Rosenberg had written "Jihad" and the manuscript was at the publishers. In the book he had terrorists hijacking a plane and crashing it into a U.S. city. Then 9/11 happened! I'm currently reading his non-fiction "Epicentre".

I'm also enjoying reading Steve Berry and just finished The Templar Legacy.
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've just discovered Patrick O'Brian. His Naval series of 20 books is a good read, about the Nelson era of sea voyages and battles. One of the books they made a film of Master and Commander with Russell Crowe.
  10. bbg

bbg Member

I read "factual" books the vast majority of the time - not necessarily heavy stuff but certainly very few novels (although I got a Harland Coben from my inlaws last Christmas and read it through).
    Typically, I'll have a sporting biog and a travel-related book by the bedside at any one time - holiday reading was Jackie Stewart's autobiog, currently reading a "diary of a season" type thing by a Stoke fan (!). Particularly enjoy "journey" books - Long Way Down, Bill Bryson, Josie Dew and the like.
  11. I've been reading novels by Alexandra Potter recently. Really good if you're a hopeless romantic like me!
  12. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Just Williams by Kenneth Williams - truly inspiring
  13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

The Big Year by Mark Obmascik is excellent especially if you're into bird-watching.
  14. Bandstands and Battlefields A history of bands here in the U.S. from 1800 till the 1940's It is great fun, and easy to read. I am at school, and the book is at home, so I don't have the author's name here.
  15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Acoustics and the Performance of Music (Meyer trans. Hansen), Master Handbook of Acoustics (F. Alton Everest), Noble House (James Clavell), The Great & Secret Show (Clive Barker), The Beano and some random Mills & Boon are on my nightstand....
  16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

If you're into anything about management/leadership/motivation etc John Kotter's 'Our Iceberg Is Melting' is a great read - explains about how to bring about change in a way that is totally user-friendly and easily readable. Great analogies. :clap:
    Other than that, I do enjoy real life stories about those who have had a pig of a time growing up/abuse etc. Helps me in my line of work appreciate what hardships many have had to face, and how resilience is a key factor in helping many survive traumatic events.
  17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Child 44 - can't remember who its by and hubby has it at work now lol! Read it on holiday and it was ace...about a series of child murders happening in Russia during and just after Stalinist rule/his death. Really portrays the suspicion well, and the fact that if you didn't like someone all you had to do was say 'I heard them speaking English' and their whole family would disappear....and the fact that as far as the Russian government was concerned there was NO crime in Russia....all deaths were 'tragic accidents' and covered up...robbery, assaults etc were committed by 'mentally unstable people'....fascinating and chilling.
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:eek: Hidden depths, Keith? :)

Recently reads:

Mark Radcliffe's autobiographical Thank you for the Days, which was an amusing and sometimes touching read, and has reintroduced the phrase "Idiot Lantern" to my vocabulary.

Antony Beevor's Berlin, which, like Stalingrad, isn't for the fainthearted (bits of it certainly shouldn't be read after eating) but by god it makes you appreciate how easy our lives are now.

Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair, which I've read before but is just so good - incredibly clever while still managing to be funny. If you're even vaguely into literature you'll love it.
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I was just checking if anyone was reading ;)