The Blue Bell Inn, North Wingfield Sunday Concerts

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by tubafran, Jun 11, 2010.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The first in a series of Sunday evening concerts at The Blue Bell Inn, Station Road, North Wingfield S42 5HY takes place this Sunday 13th June 2010 commencing at 7pm.

Dronfield Band and their MD John Davis will be playing this Sunday and the programme will be:

Concert March 1941
    A Time For Peace - Horn Solo - Hazel Bilbey
    March - Praise
    Benedictus - Euph Solo - Sarah Whittington
    Alexanders Ragtime
    Procession to Cathedral

Disney Spectacular
    All In the April Evening
    This Is My Story - Cornet Solo - Adrian Wood
    Just As I am
    Light Walk
    Amazing Grace

Entrance is free but there will be raffles and fund raising events on behalf of the band.

So if you're not that bothered about watching Germany v Australia get on down to the Blue Bell Inn.
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Here are the original details of this event that was first posted on the Midlands Brass Band News Facebook site

A new exciting venture is planned with the Blue Bell Inn at North Wingfield, Chesterfield announcing a series of dates available for brass band concerts for this summer. Dates are available between June 20th each Sunday to August 29th

A stage is available for the band, with marquees available x 3 for the audience.

Bands are welcome to collect to rase funds and undertake other fundraising activities ie raffle, auction etc. The bar will be open (!) and a barbecue is planned. The Blue Bell Inn also has a restaurant which will be open throughout the concert series.

Bands interesting in paticipating in this exciting new venture should contact Geoff Cox on 07973 768201 to book a date.
  3. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

Dronfield Band playing tonight 13th June. Please come and support us!
  4. yoda

yoda Member

hmmmm pop down I might.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

hope the weather holds off (well the rain at least) though it does say there are marquees for the audience and band. Wouldn't be a proper English summer if we didnt have a least one wet performance - but it sounds like this venue is prepared for it.
  6. yoda

yoda Member

looks like a v interesting program :)
  7. joker66

joker66 Member

I understand that there are still some dates for bands interested in playing at concerts in June, July and August. Bands interested in playing should contact Geoff on 07973 768201 to book a date
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This is a really good venue and with better weather can see this taking off with some support with local bands, which there must be a substantial number no more than 30 mins away from the location.

On Sunday night it started raining at 6 and persisted it down till 9 preventing the band from setting up on the stage infront of the separate area set aside with marquees for the audience.

As we were there we set up inside the restaurant part of the pub and gave the full performance (nice to have a run through the full programme)

We had a very appreciative and knowledgeable audience (all 3 of them), one being the MD of City of Sheffield Brass Band and the other their principal cornet. We even let him have a wag with the stick.

Better weather and some local support will see this venue taking off - so why not give the guy a ring if your band is looking for some where to do a bit of fund raising on a Sunday night
  9. IJK

IJK Member

I do agree with Fran that this will be a great venue and the number of bands around the area it should really take off if the audiences do come.

some of our guys were thinking about coming down but the weather put them off.

Ireland have talked about this venue and would love to do it next year as we are probably one of the nearest to the venue. But at our AGM in May we put a hold on jobs for the year unless the fee is to good to turn down as we havce a good cash forecast for the year.
  10. joker66

joker66 Member

Is there any chance the committee would change its mind this year to support a local venue that is trying to establish itself as a local venue for entertainment, not just brass bands? The venue has also held Charity Concerts, which included entertainment from the students of Direction Theatre Arts (DTA - local music, dance and drama school/college) and other types of bands.

Any help to establish this venue would be greatly appreciated

(no connection with the venue other than daughters attend DTA)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. astreet83

astreet83 Member

The Darley Dale Cricket Club holds its concerts Sunday evening, which attracts lots of band-people. Perhaps if you tried a different night you might get more there...

Just a thought
  12. joker66

joker66 Member

As I said in the previous post I have no connection with the venue other than being asked to post it on TMP, and publicise it within the banding circle which I did. I did highlight to the owner Geoff, that Darley Dale Cricket Club also had bands on a Sunday night, however he decided to proceed.
  13. astreet83

astreet83 Member

No prob and didn't know
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I believe we had a similar discussion with the landlord about trying it at a time that didnt conflict with Darley Dale - maybe in the afternoon or the Saturday evening. If he wants this to take off will also need a bit more advertising I think, bands dont automatically generate an audience. How many years has Darley Dale being going? Thats been at 3 different venues to my knowledge (played at them all) The Square and Compass, The Three Stags Heads and now the Cricket Club but it does get the banding fraternity out even if its just to see whos playing well or not ;)
  15. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Correct 3 venues and has been going long than I've been playing so approx. 18 years on off. The old landlord at the Square played trombone so he knew how to attract the bands (beer) and also the punters
  16. postie

postie Member

I spoke to Geoff in my opinion really ought have organised the concerts a little bit earlier in the year. Darley Dale got in touch in March much sooner.
  17. joker66

joker66 Member

The Blue Bell Inn is a 13th Century inn and Restaurant which has set up a BAND GARDEN for this and future summers (a beautiful location). Only 5 minutes from Jct 29 of the M1 it is an ideal location for the East Midlands/Yorkshire bands to show off their wares.

For bands of about 15 there is a stage and for bands of 30+ a Marquee can be erected, with audience Marquees for around 80 to 100 people.

Time of concerts is Sunday evenings 7 pm - 9 pm. Most dates are currently free as the Blue Bell Inn has only just started to promote this.

Please call Geoff on 07973 768201 if your band is interested in performing.

(Posted on behalf of Geoff Cox)
  18. joker66

joker66 Member

The Blue Bell Inn, at North Wingfield is looking to establish itself as a venue for Brass Band concerts. Concerts were initially planned on a Sunday, however it has been decided to change this to Friday evening, commencing Friday 23 July through to Friday 24th September.

Shirland Brass Band will undertake the last concert on a Sunday 18th July is Shirland Brass Band. There are still a couple of Sundays free prior to the 18th July so if anyone is interested in performing please call Geoff on the numbers below.

If there are any Bands that are interested in Friday concerts in the Band Garden at the Blue Bell Inn, S42 5HY please call Geoff on 01246 850076 or 07973 768201

This is a lovely 13th. Century Inn only 5mins. From Jct. 29 M1

(posted on behalf of Geoff Cox)
  19. IJK

IJK Member

We at Ireland have contacted Geoff and will be speaking ot him again this week in regards to a Friday night concert which will we be looking to do later in the year as it is a normal band night for us.

Also I know that Ashover band will be there this Sunday so why not go down and listen to other local band
  20. Di B

Di B Member

If I am free on a Sunday I will do to darley dale. Regular format, good crowd, food, beer and gossip.

Shame a new event is choosing to kill itself by taking on such an established event. If it is ever on another night (or if darely is cancelled) then I might give it a go.