The Black Watch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jpbray, Oct 22, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

Is the move of The Black Watch to Babil, south of Baghdad really a military decision rather than a political one? I think this in many ways smells a bit like a good old fashioned contest between two fiercely completive but friendly rivals, namely the British and American army.

I reckon the Yanks army are fed up of being slagged of by Brits for being told they are doing all wrong with their gun-ho approach. So is it now a case of over to you?

2. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Not sure about rivalry, but I think that the proximity to the US elections is interesting...
  3. jpbray

jpbray Member

I watch the debate on Question Time last night and there seems to be no reasons militarily why this deployment should go ahead, other than political or something a little more murky
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I only hope that when they do go in they are able to calm things down as the British forces generally seem to have been doing elsewhere. On the whole, thery do seem better at dealing with volatile situations, probably due to their experience in Northern Ireland and the Balkans. Having said that, there does seem to be more of a political motivation for the move rather than purely military grounds.
  5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The Villiage Blacksmith

Ooops - sorry - thought it was March association again.......
    (Seems like a pointless silly game to me
    - moving the Black Watch that is, not MA obviously......).
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

One of my earliest Brass teachers was a chap called Jim Maine (who sadly passed away this year ) , and he retired to Colchester after doing his 22 with The Black Watch , coming out as Band Sgt.Major.
    Although very much against the war and subsequent occupation , my thoughts are with all the forces out there.It does seem a little bizarre that 650 of our soldiers can make such a difference to the US's 135,000.
    I just hope that The Watch are not too near the US military if and when the shooting starts- the US record on friendly fire is not great.