The Black Diamonds March

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Brian

Brian Member

HELP !!! I am M.D. of Bestwood Welfare "Black Diamonds" Welfare Band, for many years we have used the above march that was written for us by Thomas Tomlinson and arranged by Charles A Cooper; it was published by F.Richardson and Co. Sibsey. Boston; who were eventually was taken over by Wright & Round.. For performances we have used the original manuscript parts, and as you can imagine, they are becoming virtually unreadable: I have been in touch with W&R who tell me it has been out of print for a good number of years: Is there any band that has a set of the printed parts to this, that they could loan me to copy (Moderators please note I have had permission from W&R to do this). We know that it was in print during the 1960's, and would appreciate any help to try and obtain a set of copies.
  2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi, might be worth asking Hayden Cooper if he has a set

cheers Shaz x
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just as an aside Brian I think Bruce Fraser has also done a march called "The Black Diamonds"
  4. Brian

Brian Member

Thanks for the thought John, but its not the one I want

thanks also Sharon, hadn't thought of contacting Haydn
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

Ive found a 'yellowing' march called the 'Black Diamond' by J Whittle in our library but this obviously isn't what you are after.

Brian, I can't remember ever playing this whilst I was with you in the 70's - did it fall out of favour ?
  6. Brian

Brian Member

Hi Ken, yes it wasn't very popular at the time you were here, but since I came back in 2004 I have resurected it. We always played it at the start and close of our concerts, certainly when I joined in 1959 right up to the late 60's early 70's. By the way thanks for looking in your library
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- if the parts can just be read, why don't you get someone to copy each part into some notation software and create a new set?

AEHOWGATE Member

Its on its was to you Brian, I have given it to Steve, one of your Eb Bass players, at buxton fire station. p.s. Don't park your car at buxton fire station, I noticed a few cars broken into! one even had it's roof completely cut off!!
  9. postie

postie Member

Thanks for getting the music for us Aidan it is much appreciated.
  10. Brian

Brian Member

Black Diamonds March

Thanks very much Aidan...hey watch ur car!!! maybe they are practice for the being clamped for parking in the wrong place...lmao
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007