The BIG BLOW

Discussion in 'Brass Band Aid - news & discussion' started by Bob Thompson, Nov 3, 2006.

1. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Can I be the first to say that it was a fantastic experience this afternoon.
    I couldn't quite hear the full details of the record and money raised, but I think there were around 450 players, and about £4,400 raised on the day. I'm sure someone will be on tomorrow with the exact figures.

The organisation was first rate, Frank Renton was in fine form with the microphone interviewing the section leaders that included Richard Marshall, Glyn Williams, Steve Sykes and Douglas Yeo. The press photographers certainly got plenty of excercise trying to get as many shots while the record attempt was going on!

To say that most people were sight-reading the piece, it didn't sound bad at all from where I was sitting at the front of the Trombones. I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD when it comes available!

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Firstly, congratulations on raising that amount of money for such a good cause, and a big thank you to the organisers for putting in so much work :clap: . . . . but can I ask why so few people actually took part?

If Stephens guess of 450 bandsman is 'accurate', then that is less than a quarter of all participating bandsman who attended Butlins this weekend who actually took part in the big blow. So can I ask what the other 1,400 bandsman where doing?

:(

3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm pretty certain that is the figure that Jon Handley quoted during the results ceremony
    The band was split into 6 sections, Cornets, Flugs/Horns, Baris/Euphs, Troms, Basses and Percussion, and there were no more than 75 or so in any section except the cornets.
    Like I say, Bob or Bryony will probably give more accurate figures in due course.

4. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

is that all? gosh there seemed well more than that!!
    but then again it was stupid making the champion section compete when the big blow was on! There would of been loads more players to enter the big blow if they had waited untill they finished, or arranged for the champion sections to play after the big blow had finished!
    I was sad that i didn't get to see a few of the champs play because i was being involved in the big blow! but i did see the Yorkshire Imps (Urquant Travel) play and they were superb! does any one know how old the little boy on the Trombone is he seemed well young and he could on half blow!
    Well done to all competing bands, hope you all enjoyed yourselfs! :clap:
    I never stayed for the result ceremany unfortunately because mum and dad wanted to go home!!! :cry:
    and does any one know who won the cornet??
    (i know this is a bit more related to the Butlins 2007 thread but oh well!:tongue:)

5. Veri

Veri Member

It was absolutely excellent - big thanks to everyone involved. I am wearing my pin badge with pride. I think it was a shame more people didn't join in, they definitely missed out - I was so excited to be part of it!

6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Woodbridge were there in force and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (especially our Sec, who won the cornet!) But, having been to the Mineworkers before I have a suspicion that a large number of them (apart of course for those still contesting) were 'taking the waters' ... :)

7. melbo

melbo New Member

The Big Blow was fantastic! There were 26 members of Tewkesbury Town Band taking part! It was such an amazing sound and a suprising sense of achievement when we broke the record! We too can't wait for the DVD to show all our supporters who were left outside!
    What can we do next year?!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It was certainly well worth doing, and great fun being one of the 60+ bass players taking part :eek:

I asked this morning if they had a final total, and understand things were still being verified. I agree the numbers were a little disappointing, but I'm sure some people were torn between taking part and hearing the championship section, apart from those who were still recovering from their own competiton.

As it was, I heard the first two bands play "Northern Lights", then trailed up to the chalets to collect my bass, arriving just in time for the last couple of run-throughs, and the chat, thanks etc. Once we had finished, and I'd taken the bass back, I just made it in time for the last three Championship bands, so there was quite a time commitment involved.

Talking to Bryansop on Saturday night, he was chuffed to have sat next to Alan Wycherley as one of the 20 sops taking part!

9. timbloke

timbloke Member

it was certainly an experience, I'm glad I did it, but would have preferred to be on Trombone. Although the Basses did sound pretty phenomenal!

I agree with what's been said above, it was a pity the turn out was so much below what was predicted, there were a lot of people I knopw, who said they'd heard nothing about it before the weekend, maybe there needs to be another strategy for letting bands know. But that said, well done to everyone who organised it. Same time next year?

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It was a great expierence! Due to my own stupidity I got there just after the rehearsals so had to sight read the march on the actual record attempt. Not easy when it was pegged to the back of the chair in front so was about at my knee level! Still, I got to sit next to Clair from GUS and even had the briefest of chats with Douglas Yeo :eek: .

As for the numbers, well, the first section was still running during the Big Blow, which must've taken a few players out of the eqation, and the clash with the Championship Section might have had something to do with it too. But then in a packed weekend I don't think they could've timed it any differently. Still a massive achievement though. The noise was fantastic!

11. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Hi folks
    I'm pleased everyone who took part enjoyed the event the feed back so far has been excelent. I still dont have the definative figure but that will be published very soon. We believe it is somewhere between 450 and 500 players. A lot less than expected but hey, its a world record.
    In terms of advertising the event, I e mailed every single brass band in the UK with a contact e mail on the Internet Bandsman website twice during the course of the last 6 months and believe me thats a lot of bands!

I cant comment much further as, I was unable to attend, but I was thinking of you all whilst in a hospital bed down the road from Skeggy!
    More info to follow, and again thanks for the support.
    Cheers
    Bob on behalf of BBA and the Big Blow

12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's "Nuke" on tMP (so you can drop him a pm)...I think he's 23?

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

With all due respect (as I do support the BBA cause and have thrown quite a few quid their way now)...how is 450-500 a record for a brass band, when TBDBITL Alumni Band annual get 600-700 to play together for their reunion every September?

14. Scarysheep

Scarysheep New Member

Unfortunately our playing time on saturday was about 4:30pm so we werent able to take part in the big blow :( which would of been an exciting experience but i heard that all the people that did take part enjoyed it and had a great time anyway.:)

15. Veri

Veri Member

Is it too late to order a DVD? I made one of my friends order one, but everyone at work, and all of my non banding friends are so incredulous at my accounts of the weekend, that it would be nice to show them!

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Think she may have forgoten to mention that the "young" trombonist was probably Wingates - 10 old signing (Peter Moore) and he also played at Butlins last year on Solo Trom with Dobcross.

17. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

wait i'm totally confused! all i know was that he looked really young and he played solo trombone and he was a fab!! so was this Nuke or Wingates ??

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

World records (or any sort of record) is only validated when somebody from the Guinness World Records is present, or when it can be categorically proven to be a successful record attempt, (as I presume there was on Saturday - I wasn't able to take part unfortunately). Therefore, although your band may have more players, they are not world record holders because it has not been validated by the official body.

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think the fact that the band came together to play a specially written piece of music was also a factor.

20. timbloke

timbloke Member

Think there may be some confusion to the bands.. The World Famous Yorkshire Imperial David Urquart Travel Silver Prize Band :tongue: - http://www.yorkshireimps.co.uk/ have a solo trombonist who's tMP name is Nuke and is in his early 20s.

Wingates Band http://www.wingatesband.org/ have a solo trombonist who (as far as I know) is not on tMP, he is called Peter Moore - see their website for details. And his feet don't touch the floor.

Perhaps you can use your new role as Juniors Rep to get in touch with him and see if he fancies joining tMP. ;)