The Best

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

All the leading supermarkets nowadays do a "budget" brand eg Tesco Value, a home brand and a "luxury" brand eg Morrisons The Best.

I like treating myself to these as and when I can afford it/they're on offer/a special occasion. 9 times out of 10 they are very nice. Occasionally I have one and think that it's no different or better than the home brand version.

What always makes me laugh, however, is the description of said lines. By putting one word in front of the product name, apparently gives it an altogether more aloof status in the quality stakes. For example, strawberry yoghurt (or yogurt...see other thread!!) suddenly becomes Woodland strawberry yoghurt. In adding this single word onto the beginning of the description we are duped into conjuring all sorts of images of plump, perfectly ripened, succulent strawberries, no doubt freshly picked by a young attractive "Flake Ad" girl in a light summery dress that is slightly see through when the sun shines through it, in the outskirts of 100 acre wood where Winnie the Pooh lives and all is right with the world. They are placed in a real straw basket and the maiden skips off across daisy filled meadows to some picturesque country cottage where these most delicious of strawberries are magically transformed by fairies into the most sumptuous, creamy yoghurt you are ever likely to taste........

ALL THAT just by adding the word "Woodland" on the front!

It may be two words in some cases..."Wild Alaskan" smoked salmon. Only the very best of salmon could be Wild Alaskan, not your run of the mill, home brand, farmed dyed salmon. Oh no. This is Wild Alaskan. Private Jets whisk highly skilled fishermen off to Alaska, whereby they endure sub zero temperatures for 20 days and nights, thigh deep in ice cold water, fending off grizzly bears and the like with only their rod and waders for protection. When they finally land said salmon, as it soars majestically upstream, it is not killed but sedated in the most humane way possible.The fisherman then sets off a flare gun which generates an immediate response from a nearby helicopter which airlifts the sedated salmon to a waiting supersonic jet to transport it at breakneck speed to your local supermarket at which point a team of veterinary surgeons quietly and gently put the salmon to sleep while they cradle and stroke it. Within a minute of this it's wrapped with tender loving care and placed on the shelf, where you pick it up and think "Ah, yes...Wild Alaskan Salmon...it will have been swimming upstream in Alaska 30 minutes ago" now it is mine.

What a difference a word can make!

2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

What wonderful imagery your words convey, I wanted to be in that woodland just to watch such a splendid vision, and shivered in the Arctic cold as you fished for salmon.
    Myself? I am too much of a cynic to believe such nonsense, and see it for what it is, an excuse to put another couple of pence on the price.

3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha, excellent post. You are right of course, there's probably no difference at all in the product itself.

4. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

don't know if you saw it or not but a couple of weeks ago there was a programme on channel 4 talking about the healthiness of these so called 'quality dishes'. There was an experiment on whether the value range was any unhealthier than the best range.
    At the end of the experiment it was found most of the better foods were unhealthier than the value range, and isnt half the reason we buy these quality foods is because they are better for our health? and the other reason is because they taste better but are they really that better tasting?
    Quality ranges are just another reason for supermarkets to raise prices and to make us feel better about ourselves.:)

5. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I go for mostly supermarket own brands.To me they are no different to named brands.The taste is about the same.And they are cheaper and do exactly what it says on the packaging(tin)
    CubbRep.

6. Robhibberd29

I wouldn't argue with that, I think one of the reasons why these luxury labels do taste better (in most cases, in my opinion) is not because they are any healthier and I never buy them because I'm under any illusion that they are, but because they use allegedly fresher, better quality ingredients that aren't necessarily any healthier but of a higher quality. It's all about taste too isn't it, that's what makes you want to buy them again, if they taste better, and to try and tempt your taste buds into bursting with excitement they conjure up these sumptious sounding names that get your mouth watering before you've even left the supermarket! It's also "feel good" factor.In buying said goods you feel like you've treat yourself to something special, as you may do with chocolate for example.

The other point, of course, when it comes to buying them again is does the slight (if any) improvement in flavour offset the extra cost?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  7. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I think the "feel good" factor is probably the only thing it is. People enjoy feeling like they're giving themselves a treat.

Did anybody catch any of "People Watchers" last week (BBC2 around lunchtime)? Psychologists conduct various hidden camera type experiments and observe human behaviour, it's quite interesting. Anyway, in one of those experiments people were stopped in the street and asked to sample two cakes, one labelled "Chocolate Cake" and one labelled "Sticky Chocolate Fudge Cake" (or something like that). Most people said they preferred the sticky choc and could taste creaminess of the fudge and all that. But in reality the cakes were identical. The brain is very powerful indeed.

I thought it was quite an interesting test and it did bring to mind these different supermarket ranges and how fancy names not only sound more appealing, but can even make us genuinely believe they taste nicer.

I find the implications of that slightly worrying. People shelling out extra in the genuine belief that what they're getting really does taste better! Hmm, those M&S ads have a lot to answer for! ;)

8. Robhibberd29

Yes, indeed they do! I think Tesco Finest was the first out of the different supermarkets to start a "Luxury" label but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the M&S Adverts in question preceeded them, the very ethos is questionable as you say and relates directly to the "luxury" labels in this thread with the "These are not just...." philosophy, teasing your brain into imagining things taste better.

I didn't see the program you mention but have myself been on the sharp end of a "placebo" or "Pepsi Challenge" test like this in the street. I fell for it hook line and sinker. As I have with the brand brainwashing as I openly admit to buying them.

You know the feeling..you're in the supermarket, not in a particular rush, browsing round at your leisure when you spy some nice shiny silver/gold packaging. Hmm, looks nice.You investigate and the descriptive words just jump off the packaging and taunt your senses! Or is it just me!! he he :)

9. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Rob,use your eye's,read the label of 1 or 2 products and you will find that they have most likely the same.So,who has the best product?Admittedly,some store brands do not taste as good as named brands,but,I would sooner pay for a product that has the same content,that is a little cheaper.
    CubbRep
    Repiano Cornet Cubbington Silver
    Principal Cornet Burbage Silver(In the Interim)

10. Robhibberd29

But they entice me so Dick!! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Chips
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Rob, you just got my vote for Best Post 2008. :D
    BMB
    xx

13. Robhibberd29

Thanks BMB, that's certainly praise comin from you with all your accolades!! :)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- did BMB mean the post quoted above? ... :p

15. Robhibberd29

Well BMB is the crowned queen of random Brassneck ;)

16. bigmamabadger

At this point I would normally lead off into one of my customary sparkling riffs but given the wording of that particular post, riffing might well lead to permanent barring from tMP. If not a jail sentence. :redface:
    Discretion is my middle name. Well actually it's Caitlin, which means Princess. Appropriately enough.
    BMB
    xx

17. Robhibberd29

Best stick to the topic for once then BMB, for fear of retribution! ;-)

Speaking of which, my colleague has just had a "Scottish" Raspberry Yog(h)urt, which is described as "A sumptious raspberry compote blended with the finest West country cream yog(h)urt".....sounds too good to be true! :)

18. bigmamabadger

I love those chocolates which are "enrobed" in the finest velvety dark chocolate. Always sounds vaguely louche. I feel I should be lying on red silk sheets being fed them by naked, oiled bodybuilders.

I said that out loud didn't I? :oops:
    Badger off for a cold shower and some deep meditation
    xx

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Crikey Rob, Woodland Strawberries, Wild Alaskan Salmon and velvety chocolate - can I come round your's on Valentines day?

20. Robhibberd29

No, you can buy them yourself in the supermarket, they're very expensive you know and I'm not made of money LOL ;-)

21. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

You have really got our female colleagues taste buds going Rob.
    CubbRep

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Chips