The best things in life are free :)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by James McFadyen, Sep 16, 2003.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Hi Everybody!

You can now hear a selection of my music in low-quality mp3 audio! All you need to do is go to the Music Publishing department of Devilish Publishing, located at www.jamesmcfadyen.co.uk

Some publishers use Scorch, but this technology still relies on end-user technology (in terms of soundcard sounds) and for this reason have never used Scorch for this purpose.

What you do get, however, is a relatively acurate recording, or in some cases , like the dance tunes, very accurate. Digital samples and synthesizers have helped me reproduce these recordings, It's just unforunate I have to use low-quality mp3 compression (for faster download) which hides the some of the resonance of the recording.

So come, on download as many as you want today, right now, like others have and this is the place to comment on them!

Thanks.

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

:shock: :lol: ... you have one? - 'tis my hobby! What kit/synth did you use to produce yor mp3's James? I'd be interested to hear what you have done using Synths...

John

3. James McFadyen

Hardware wise I have a Roalnd MC-303 which I used to write all my dance tunes on. I also used to use a Korg Trinity for a little while.

Most of my digital work is done in the computer since the synths for them are cheeper than the hardware version (much cheeper) and the sound quality is better.

For Dance music I usually use the Waldorf Attack for drums, the ReFX TBL bassline machine which gives nice TB303-Type sounds. I have the Pro-53 -SUPERB!, Edirol Orchestral and Super Quartet, Steinberg's The Grand which is very PC Hungry!, Halion v2 software sampler that's VST-I compatible which can load Soundfonts, Akai and Giga formats as well as importing wav files. Sonic Synth is a great addition to Sampletank, lots of great sounds, especially acoustic drums.

I use my samples mostly, which are: Ilio Virtuoso Strings, EastWest Woodwinds, Professional Basses, the Whole Miroslav series, Symphony of Voices, SonicReality Vintage Time Traveller, EastWest Ultimate Strings, Korg Trinity Pro, Peter Siedlaczek's Classical Choir, EMU Proteus 2000.

I usually run Cubase SX as my software host.

4. James McFadyen

Dreams are to be Without Motion - Soundfonts (within Halion) and Super Quartet for Drums.

The Universe is a Symphony - Ilio Virtuoso Strings, Sonic Synth (within SampleTank) for Drums, Miroslav Orchestral Percussions for Timps and Symphony of Voices for the choir.

In an Island of Mass-Produced Suicide - Edirol Orchestral for band parts, Super Quartet for drums, Miroslav Orchestral Percussion for Timps, Tam-Tam and Clash Cyms.

Beyond Life - Roland MC-303 Hardware synth

Lost Princess - Roland MC-303 Hardware synth

Clouds of Dust and Rainbows of Gold, Ilio Virtuoso Strings for the solo violin and Steinberg's The Grand for the piano. the mp3 version doesn't do justice to the sounds, though!

5. TheMusicMan

Symphony of Voices eh... now there's a 1st class sample product - top notch stuff you are using.

I have a Korg Karma w/s and am also thinking of getting a Triton. Might mean a 'swap' if I choose to purchase the MW software which effectively turns the Triton into a Triton + Karma!

Don't tend to use software synths much as I have the gear to do this using hardware... not sure I agree with your comment though that software synths produce better sound....

I do use CoolEdit for sequencing and MP3 mixdowns - sometimes for the (rather limited) effects though if I have already done the recording to wav... most of the stuff I have done is straight from the Synth so miost of my work is done using the built in sequencer etc...

J

6. James McFadyen

Nice equipment u've got yourself. I've never heard the Korg Karma but it has been getting some fantastic raves!

and well, the Korg Triton, you should definetly get!!!!!

The only reason I say software is better quality than hardware is when you have to put your synths into the computer (via analog cables) whereas software is purely digital, no need for an ADC, therefore no loss of quality at all, except when processing with plug-ins.

Do you write dance music yourself? lately I've being writing a lot of ambient tunes! what sort of stuff r u into?

7. TheMusicMan

I come up with a lot of ambient music - have done a small amount of trance/dance stuff - mainly for my son who is well into that at the moment, but I am not good at that at all - too old now!!!! :)

Ambient is definately my forte, and the Karma is well suited to creating music of this genre with its rich pads, strings and mellow leads. You know how it is though, only happy with a limited amount of songs I write, mostof them get stored onto floppy for recall at a later stage when I want to recap on what I have done etc...

Great fun though...!

8. James McFadyen

yeah! in my early days playing wth MIDI, I created stacks of stuff all dumped on floppy, sometimes I go back to them it can be quite a surprise!