The Best Soprano Cornet Player

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WelshEuphNatty, Aug 24, 2004.

1. WelshEuphNatty

WelshEuphNatty New Member

an unsung hero - Mark Tarry from Ratby Co-Op!
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

If it isn't Nat who used to play with Rhos and the you doing?
    Best Sop - Alan Wycherley dont stick out like a sore thumb , great sound , musicianship and blends brilliantly with any section.
  3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Peter Roberts gets my vote everytime. Fantastic range and sound and his solo cd is superb. Agree with Alan Wycherly though, great player.

IYOUNG Member

Yep, agreed Steve Peter Roberts everytime

There are some fantastic players around though Alan Hobbins at B&R another top notch quality player
  5. WelshEuphNatty

WelshEuphNatty New Member

BORE DA Nick!

Yes it is I!!
    Won't bore the rest of the forum with chatting here - how are you?

Drop me a line at my email address!

6. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Agreed, Pete is good, nice sound and range etc. but Pesonally I like a Sop to be able to power over a band (at the appropriate moments), so my vote goes to Kevin Crockford, top bloke (and lives across the road from me)(and helps me out from time to time - can't really vote for anyone else really!!)
    Apparantly Martin Winter (yes, the trumpeter) can play the Sop well, but ive yet to hear him.
  7. Tobin

Tobin Member

not so straight forward to simply say he/she is the best.

I can't see past wycherly - the best sop sound i have ever heard, and such a stylistic player. Has the ability to take real musical risks in solo passages. On the other hand peter roberts is amazing, no one else can do what he does, in terms of range,power and stamina, and on top of that he has a great sound.

I think these 2 are practically in a league of their own. Although the sop at Cory is fantastic as well.

PS Is Craig Bennet (ex farieys) still playing? Another player who had a fantastic sound.
  8. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

The one and only...

9. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Brian Evans

A tasteful player if I ever heard one!

Roberts is a great player but I don't think he is subtle enough.

Wycherly is fantastic too. Same with the bloke at Cory's (or BAYV!!)
  10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I'll go for Peter Roberts overall. The power on Kevin Crockford is awesome though.
  11. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Power isn't everything though............................ Mind you, I wish I had the power of Crockford! :wink:
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Nah! You're all wrong. As Nat has already stated Mark Tarry is the best sop player that ever lived.

.....well thats what he keeps telling me anyway :wink:

(Hi Nat - how are you? Hope "the toddler" and Morgan are both doing well :p )
  13. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Think the guy from Cory is called Kevin Barnsley (or something like that). I heard him on Conventry Variations - very impressive.
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Peter Roberts gets my vote!
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Steve Barnsley's the name, and I agree he's a very good player - listen to BAYV's "Les Preludes" and there is some very subtle playing.

Another player who is sometimes overlooked is Nigel Fielding at Grimethorpe; again, a very sympatheitic player, heard when he should be and blending in the rest of the time.
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

One of my 'favourites' was David King when playing with BBS and Howard Snell Brass under Howard Snell. He was one of the few to play the instrument in tune across all its ranges (this is NOT a criticism of other players, but the lower range on a number of sops - particularly the much-lauded Schilke - is decidely unwieldy in tuning in the lower register) as well as a great technique and high register - coupled with his abikity to blend instead of dominating. (Listen to the BBS Pictures recording for a perfect example! ;-))
  17. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I didn't say that it was!
  18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

have you heard/seen the finale and reunion on the 03 euros cd/dvd ??
  19. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

that could be heard back in England.....
  20. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

No, but i'm not saying Pete doesn't ride over the band or such like, far from it. Its my predilection towards Kevin Crockford that amkes me favour him over others. The fact he's a neighbour makes me a bit biased - and Pete doesnt teach - even after all my persuasive begging!!!