The Best Bass Section!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Apr 10, 2008.

The Best Bass 'Section'

1. Black Dyke

32 vote(s)
  2. Grimethorpe

28 vote(s)
  3. Brighouse

9 vote(s)
  4. Fodens

19 vote(s)
  5. Cory

12 vote(s)
  6. Faireys

4 vote(s)
  7. Y.B.S

4 vote(s)
  8. ISB

6 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chizzum

chizzum Member

As a link towards 'The Best Bass Player' thread, i wondered what was the general thought on the best bass section in banding.

If anyone thinks of any good bass sections outside of the poll then I'll add them to the poll when they are discussed!
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Fountain City has my vote
  3. Dave in Florida

Dave in Florida New Member

I'll second that, Pat, although JMU's bass section wins the choreography caption. Their unison con and senza sordino maneuvers during Wilby's 'Dove Descending' were quite impressive.
  4. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

Hebden Bridge Band have a very very good bass section.
  5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Quite clearly Cory.
    Have you seen their bass section?! They look like they're gonna be good, and when you haer them, you are NOT disapointed!
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

7. Grimethorpes bass section personel has recently changed - otherwise they would have been my fav's for best bass section although I can't say that having not yet heard the new team (I think Shaun Crowthers still there though?)

Having heard Brass Band Willebroek at numerous points I am always impressed by their bass sound - my fav's for best bass section go to them
  8. robcornet

robcornet Member

Barton Town Band has the best bass section in the 2nd section as we won a trophy for it, as we were all reminded on the way home by a certain bass player!!!!;)
  9. chizzum

chizzum Member

So does anybody know the new line up at Grimethorpe then? I heard a while ago they were struggling to replace their 2nd BBb but i don't know whos there now. Anybody know?
  10. Well since then Dean Morley has left for Australia and also their 2nd EEb I think. Some really big changes
  11. tromdemon

tromdemon New Member

No big changes I think. James Hartley (ex-Rothwell) is 2nd Ebb for about one year now. Moved to 2nd BBb base for the areas - don't know how they're lining up in concerts at the moment or for the Europeans.
  12. chizzum

chizzum Member

So is Shaun Crowther still there. I hope so!
  13. tromdemon

tromdemon New Member

Yes, I believe so. Probably thought that with Shaun's circular breathing and the noise he can make then they can make do with moving James to BBb. Don't know who took the 2nd EEb position for the areas.
  14. chizzum

chizzum Member

So i James staying on BBb?
  15. tromdemon

tromdemon New Member

Sorry, don't know. Not privy to band matters. Website no help. Looks like someone's school project. Not a candidate for website-of-the-month, I feel.
  16. chizzum

chizzum Member

haha no, never has been on that topic.
  17. well i have to say point of ayrs bass section. they were always known for having a rock solid bottom end and im pleased to say that this has continued with the newly reformed point of ayr, with some of the legendary old faces and a certain new young Eb player. this section never runs out of steam and im sure rattled a few fillings out of my teeth in a recent performance of purcell variations!
  18. stevemorton

stevemorton New Member

totally agreed with u there matty! we got more bass than a max power cruise!!!:biggrin:
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In common with a number of the European bands, and with the difference in numbers allowed in the European Championships, Willebroek usually take to the stage with 3 BBbs and 2 EEbs, which may well be a factor.
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Very true...I'd love to see that band at the US Open sometime!