The best banding venue

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by <nickw>, Jan 3, 2010.

1. <nickw>

<nickw> Member

I was just wondering if people would like to post their favourite banding venues - contest or concert - and why, out of interest.
  2. Zappa

Zappa Member

It may not be the most glamorous by any means, but i always liked Ossett Town Hall - brilliant acoustics!
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Symphony Hall.
  4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Tredegar Leisure Centre - nice artwork in the Gents
  5. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Symphony Hall - a beautiful looking hall and acoustic
    Royal Albert Hall - maybe not for it's acoustic, but for history and nostalgia you can't beat it.
    The Sage - Im my view 'the venue' for brass bands at the moment - great all round facilities and acoustic, not massive capacity so full houses do happen!
    Huddersfield Town Hall - if there's a place where bands sound better then I'd like to find it!
  6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Regent Hall - not a fine old building like the RAH or any of the old Town Halls, but nevertheless with its own place in banding history. Crucially, the stage is tailor-made for a band, which I always found made a big difference. Many happy memories of playing concerts there, particularly in the Brass Arts festival on Nationals weekend.
  7. Frontman

Frontman Member

I'll also go with Symphony Hall as proberbly the best I have played or conducted in, but a huge mention for shear nostalgia must go to the Free Trade Hall in Manchester and the Town Hall Huddersfield.
  8. bbg

bbg Member

Obvious bias here, but Perth Concert Hall must be a serious contender. Fine acoustic, superb auditorium, proper warm-up facility ( a smaller studio theatre type room, used for recitals etc so acoustically good also), ample car parking, handy for town facilities for bands and audience......all it needs is a better coach parking arrangement and we're there!
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

The sage.....Pure ampetheatre accoustics. Huddersfield town hall for the nostalgia and the boom!
  10. KMJ Recordings

I certainly enjoyed working in there....add in tremendously helpful staff.....bit cold outside, though ;)
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

It throws all of the sound forward and produces one of the harshest and coldest sounds i have ever heard...Just my opinion though. Did anyone else think this?
  12. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Completely agree with all of those.
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Absolutely, and it's sadly missed.
  14. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

The rooms are ****** great though and the cocktails even better!
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Symphony Hall ticks most of the boxes for me, as a listener anyway.

As for Regent Hall, I tend to find it a little boomy, and it certainly does favour the bottom end of the band. If bands take that into account, then it can be alright, but if not then it can be a little over-bearing.

As a playing experience, sitting underneath the dome of St Paul's Cathedral takes some beating, providing the repertoire is carefully selected ;)
  16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Now Im jealous! :clap:
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I played there with the Coldstream we were tucked away in a corner, but with Cambdridge Heath for the New Year's Eve Watchnight Service we were always slap bang in the middle. It's a shame it doesn't take place any more :(
  18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I cant imagine it ever being an option for me. Lucky guy.
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I know you're from Milnrow, but technically lager & lime isn't a cocktail ;)

And that hotel's an aberration. The architect should be given forty lashes on the town hall steps by the ghost of John Barbirolli. Plus the Lowry's nicer :biggrin:

When the Bridgwater opened despite the big wedges of bunce spent on acousticians, Kent Nagano still preferred the FTH acoustic and made them hang big velvet curtains fron the circle balconies to kill some of the harder reverb.

While I'm here, although bands almost never get to play there, can I put a nomination in for the City Hall in Glasgow. It used to be an utter turdhole (although I know they've done it up since I was last there) but had the best acoustic in Scotland, far better than the Royal Concert Hall.
  20. KMJ Recordings

Aye, but they did a fabulous job with the isolation ;)

Didn't like playing in there....and it's awfully scary the first time you drop mics down through the wire 'tennis racket' at the ceiling...