The bells...the bells...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fartycat, Apr 16, 2004.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

We've just started looking at Harrison's Dream for the Masters. I would be interested to find out what other bands are doing for the bell effects in the middle. I think we're going to use a set of crotales plus a few tubular bells thrown in for good measure...

Also, is it just me or does the piece sound remarkably like Short Ride in a Fast Machine by Adams. The woodblocks...the cornet rhythms...the loud shock notes on bass drum... :eek:

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

have seen it done on triangles. Never seen the score, or anyone else play it, so don't know if that is normal or not.

3. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I have never heard a brass band version but was recently loaned a wind band recording. I did think the same thing, you are not alone!

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We haven't really looked at it yet, with Les Preludes the number one priority at the moment, so I have no idea what we're going to be using. I don't think I want to be hitting whatever it is with my mouthpiece as suggested on the part though :shock: When is someone going to write a piece where they need the sound of an Eb Bass player opening a can of Stella 10 bars from the end? :roll:

5. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you cant drink any though.. it would spoil the ambience

7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Hmmmm... perhaps it could be an off stage solo followed by a swift exit to the bar?

8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

musical belch as the last solo note of the piece?

Disclaimer: Kepps in no way supports the potential abuse of beverage stemming from possible composition ideas based on this post. Blah de blah

9. Despot

Despot Member

...how about slurping solo?

10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Heh, reminds me of a solo I had to play once and the style was marked aomething along the lines of ... "drunkenly"

Of course, a good excuse to start drinking before I start playing ... although would I be right in thinking we do that anyway? :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bells
    set
    crotales
    Dream for the Masters
    measure
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Harrisons Ping!

Wind chimes...
    give each player a single bit of chime to *ping!*