The Band of the Yorkshire Regiment (TA Band)

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by philkershaw, Jan 28, 2008.

1. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

Please see latest posts for current vacancies.

The Band of the Yorkshire Regiment, is a newly formed TA Band. We are located at the TA Centre, St Pauls Street in Huddersfield and are very soon to start recruiting musicians. The Band is starting from scratch and looking to recruit a Bandmaster, Brass, Woodwind and Percussion players from the age of 17 upwards. Rates of pay for the TA are excellent and fuel allowance is available. No previous military experience is necessary as all training, instrument and uniform will be given.

If you are interested in meeting new friends, with an opportunity to travel as well as getting paid, please get in touch!

2. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Contact details? :rolleyes:

3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Also I think more explanation of the Military roles and possible deployment as medics etc to theatre's of operations is needed/applicable as there does seem to be differing types of TA units.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Just what I was thinking.....:clap:

5. kev moxon

kev moxon New Member

New TA Band

Hi

I'm interested in the sound of the newly formed TA band and wondered if you could send me further details to my e mail address at kevin@kevinmoxon.orangehome.co.uk I have numerous years experience as a Soprano Cornet / cornet player and am currently doin some freelance conducting and a part tie conducting ourse at Durham University so depending on requirements of post would be interested in Bandmasters post if vacncy is stil current.

Look forward to hearing from you

Kev Moxon

6. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Bandmaster in the TA carries the rank of Warrant officer 1st Class...and would normally appoint a person recently retired from the forces who has attended the three year course at Kneller Hall.

7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Good luck with the formation of the new band.

I've recently joined The Nottinghamshire Band of the Royal Engineers (V) TA Band and so has Sharon Stansfield.

It is great band that was only formed last July, my husband Simon is Bandmaster and auditioned at Kneller Hall last year and was appointed despite no military experience.

There are chances to play all over the world and be involved with something outside my comfort zone !

Good luck to the new band.

Alex

8. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Are you Trained as medics/streatcher bearers?? any chance you will be posted to somewhere hot if it drags on for years?

Do you attend annual camp for the bounty??

9. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we have just done a training weekend and have another planned for march and also we hope to go away for 2 weeks in the summer;)

10. smurf

smurf New Member

Having served in the Lancashire Artillery (Volunteers) Band (TA In Bolton), you are signing up to be a soldier. The band is the main part, but you still have to train (ie shoot a rifle,) do your basic fitness test and lots of marching, bomb bursts, officers messes, marching, standing around, marching, getting wet, damp and oh did I mention, MARCHING!!

I loved it...Now live in NZ.

Hope you enjoy it Alex

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    TA Band
    Yorkshire Regiment
    St Pauls Street
    Huddersfield
    TA Centre
  12. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

At present TA Bands do not have a military role, apart from providing musical support.

13. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

If so is there any age limit?

14. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

To answer some of the questions

What is the commitment?

The minimum yearly commitment is just 27 days, which includes weekend training, two weeks annual band camp and weekly rehearsals.

What will I do in the band?

The majority of your time will be spent improving your musical skills rehearsing in the concert band and ensembles. Many engagements are undertaken which range from regimental dinner nights, marching displays, concerts and ceremonial events. you will have the opportunity to travel throughout the UK and abroad.

What will I get out of it?

Meet new friends, improve your musical skills, travel and attend weekly rehearsals.
    A days pay equal to that of a regular musician, and when eligible a tax free bounty starting around £385 for the first year with the opportunity to increase to a maximum of £1506 after five years.

Military Training?

TA bands do not have an operational role, and as such have never been deployed. However to qualify for the bounty very basic military skills must be learnt.

If you are interested in joining the band you must be at least grade 5

I hope this has answered some of the questions

15. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

Age limits are as follows:

17 and a half to 43

however if you have previous experience of military bands the age limit may be extended!

16. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

As a military musician myself I have to mention, though the lack of operational role, members of the TA bands DO have the option to go on operations if they want to though generally nobody sticks their hands up when asked.

Members of the Royal Signals (Northern) TA Band were recently asked for any volunteers.

17. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

Just to keep you up to date I have had quite a lot of interest so far but still have lots of vacancies, if any of you know any woodwind players please let them know about the band because it is a wind band I am forming.

18. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

philkershaw: I sent a PM regarding Sax Players, did you get it?

19. philkershaw

philkershaw Member

Just to keep you up to date I have had quite a lot of interest so far but still have vacancies for both brass and woodwind, so, if any of you know any woodwind players please let them know about the band because it is a wind band I am forming.

20. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

TA Bands.......................

Just out of interest, if you sign up to join a TA Band can you resign any time you like or have you to 'buy yourself out'.

21. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

you may have to go to war!!!!!1

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    TA Band
    Yorkshire Regiment
    St Pauls Street
    Huddersfield
    TA Centre