The Australian Nationals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rodney, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Rodney

Rodney Member

I assume that for each of the 7 Divisions in the UK Nationals (Wales, Scotland, Yorkshire etc) each section within that division operates under exactly the same rules. It makes sense and one band does not get an unfair advantage over another band.

Picture this then..............every year at the Australian Nationals each state band council (New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria etc) have their own rules and they are NOT over-ridden by any national rules - to the best of my knowledge. This also includes bands from New Zealand. This non-rule allows 'permit players' to join a particular band for the Nationals, then immediatly after the contest, that/those people can re-join their own band straight away in some states.

In Victoria, my home state, a player is not able to rejoin the band they have just left for 12 months.

Imagine if a 4th Section Welsh band were to compete with half of the Cory members in their line up - win - then the next day those people rejoin Cory.

Could this happen in the UK???? I imagine that the you-know-what would hit the fan.......

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not exactly identical but in the context of your question they are virtually identical.

I would say no. It would be extremely difficult to sign half a band en-masse from another band for the purposes of the national contest.

We are often pillioried for having rules governing contesting. However, as far as I am concerned as long as bands want to contest then, as with any "sporting" contest, there must be rules to govern that activity to ensure fair play for all. The British brass band registration model is the best in the world, its not perfect, but it does do a good job of ensuring fair play.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I believe there is a rule where you can't rejoin your previous band after joining a new one for a period of 6 months (think it's 6).