The Ashes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JimboFB, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

There MUST be a fair few cricket fans out there in the band world...

Any one got any thoughts on the series? Predictions etc etc?

All i can say is that i think we'l do ti this time!

Really cant miss the chance to bash some Aussies (there is def plenty of them in the banding world!)

C'mon England!!!:clap::clap::clap:
  2. Columbo

Columbo Member

I just feel its a disgrace that its now the highest bidder that gets the Ashes now. Just like everything else MONEY , MONEY, MONEY!!!!!!
  3. SaddLad

SaddLad New Member

As one of the 20,000 who queued outside Old Trafford for day 5 of the 2005 test i can't believe that this time round that level of support is completely ignored in favour of Cardiff where they have struggled to sell the tickets (or so i assume seeing as the ECB emailed me only last week saying tickets were still available).
    Glamorgan have made it clear that this decision was down to their bid being higher than anyone elses, no matter how much the ECB dress things up as being about spreading the game around more.

But at least in 2005 i could go back home and watch all the drama unfold in my front room thanks to terrestrial tv coverage (apart from the odd intrusive horse race if i recall correctly). This time round that will be the privilege of at best about 1.5 million because Sky bid more than anyone else.

So yes i agree Columbo - MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

But despite the best efforts of the game's administrators to alienate me - C'MON ENGLAND.:clap:
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it is disgraceful that the opening test is being held in Wales - whatever the reason (and I mean that). nice work Colly and KP to get back on track from 90-3
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

So the 'England and Wales Cricket Board' side should only play their home matches in England then? Did you cheer all those wickets that Simon Jones took the last time 'England' won the Ashes?
  6. themusicalrentboy

let's hold it in South Africa then - KP and the next England keeper Kieswetter are South African.

The first ASHES test - the start of probably the oldest and most historic test series ever, should be held at the home of English cricket, which most certainly isn't Cardiff - it is Lord's.

The Ashes is a special series because of its significance to both countries, and certainly shouldn't have been raffled off to the highest bidding ground.
  7. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's a totally different argument. It's not the England and South Africa Cricket Board is it?

So you're not in favour of as much money as possible being piped into the game then?

I'm really not bothered either way, but if this has ruffled a few English feathersm like it appears to have done, then fine by me! ;)
  8. themusicalrentboy

it depends - if it preserves the important history of series such as this then yes. If it's just a money-making exercise then no.

bleedin' Welsh :biggrin:
  9. themusicalrentboy

Graeme Swann, you beautiful man!
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes he is rather attractive, welcome out of the closet Chris :D
  11. themusicalrentboy

not doing bad with the old conker either :cool:
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

He's really got them on the ropes here...
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I was one of the people who got tickets to the old trafford test match in 2005. Cricket was buzzing and I bet half the nation don't even know the ashes is taking place!! I love cricket and its a real shame its gone to sky.

We have no chance of winning and we need to get rid of that pi**head - Andrew Flintoff. Hes not showing an example and needs ridding, don't care how good people thinks he is. Its alright sky pumping money into the sport but if people cannot watching, whats the point.

Personally, I have kind of gone off cricket and slowing getting back into it once moving back to buxton as my mummy has sky, but i'm not going to matches like i used to.
  14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What a finish! The draw feels like a victory for England. Just goes to show the superiority of Test cricket.
  15. StellaJohnson

Typical Britishness, England were auwful and should have lost and pointing was right about the "time wasting".

OK, lets all celebrate a draw, England really played well in the five days!!!
  16. themusicalrentboy

Ponting is a moaning aussie - he got fined for it last time.

We need to celebrate the draw, as it could and should have been an almighty spanking from the Aussies.
  17. StellaJohnson

Unmighty spanking it should be because we aint good enough and it will show for the rest of the series. Our batting and bowling performance is a disgrace in the 1st test and if they dont pull there finger out in the next tests we will lose and so far we deserve to.
  18. themusicalrentboy

sounds exactly like what a lot of people said in 2005 to me... and I hope the England team give the same repsonse.
  19. StellaJohnson

well done england for winning today. It was a fine performance from start to finish. I will eat some of my previous words but not all!!
  20. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Get in there...

Stonking victory!!!

Gives me something to really get even more excited about over the summer until the rugby season starts again!!!

Freddie is a leg-end! :clap: