The area contest here again

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Tubazz, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Well this is the start of the area contest weekends, the scottish already well on the way, but as i look a the line up in the championship section i see some bands are actually struggling for conductors !we have a Nick Childs conducting,Dr. sorry, we have a Steven Sykes, Garry Cutt,Allan Ramsay and one or two more, now correct me if i am wrong but those bands already have a conductor,and those named conductors already have bands to, imo. a band at a contest should be conducted by the conductor of the band NOT someone else's conductor, that can not be fair,imo these bands are paying to have a disfair advantage on other competing bands and it should not be allowed, the conductor is every bit part of the band as the players, after all a player can only play for one band at a time
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

You may think it's not fair but its not against the rules and after the previous extensive thread regarding bands "cheating" (part swopping etc) dont think anyone came out with that as a cheat.

Would only be unfair if some bands werent allowed to do it and there is nothing to stop any band bringing in a professional MD for a contest. Has happened for years, if you look on some of the historical records of contest there are many examples of more than one band being taken by the same conductor at the contest. The very first contests at Crystal Palace for example.
  3. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Every band does what it can to try and give itself an edge over the others.Whether it is hiring a pro conductor or instruments swaping parts or whatever,so long as they DONT break the rules I dont have a real problem.
  4. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

i know it's not against the rules, but is it not time that a conductor is "registerd" with the band as are the players,therefpore ,that is the person who conducts the at the contest, surley he is part of the team, maybe time for a rule change ?
  5. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Wake up and smell the coffee!! These guys are pros, these bands pay for their services, nothing wrong or unfair with resourcefulness and pre planning.
    And dont forget, as always in life, you always get what you pay for.

Happy Banding.
  6. Pyman71

Pyman71 Member

:clap: totally agree, these bands are the best because they can afford the best, nothing wrong with that.
  7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Further to my previous post :-

It realy dosen't matter how much you pay for the man in the middle or how good he is, if your band aint got the knowledge,capability and the drive to produce a winning performance then you are sunk.
  8. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

I think you would benefit from undertsanding what an MD job entails, it begins with communicating knowledge (however gained) ,increasing players capability, raising competence, and hopefully the "drive" will be a by product of that process.
    And there is the "value" in bands purchasing that little extra!!

I wont hold my breath, by try and be happy banding.
  9. animal.22

animal.22 Member

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" I believe the saying goes. As I said,if the band aint got it......................

Another favourite saying of mine:-

"Condecension very often earns one a smack on the bum" :biggrin:
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Technically speaking I agree, but a occasionally a particularly clever musical slant on interpretation from a talented MD can sometimes bring home the pot or notch a band up the results ladder even if the pitching and placing of the dots is not 100%, just as a rash "Chancy" interpretation perfectly played can consign a top band to a wasted day !

- Mr Wilx
  11. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

i agree with alot of the above but at the end of the day and the man in the middle goes home,and rehersal starts with your own conductor,you then get the true band,and very often a week after the bans is nowhere near the same standard
    thats my point that contest day performance is not a true measure of the band
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Can't argue with that.

Speaking in general with no references to any specific bands, the bottom line is that the pot on the shelf may not be a true marker of the bands everyday standard.

In fact, doesn't it make a bit of a farce of gradings when a band might be 1st Section standard for one day and then be 2nd Section standard for the rest of the year.

I think the other related topic of bringing in talented "Ringers" just for the day is being debated on another thread.

- Mr Wilx
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

oh come on, be fair gradings have to be based on something, and you can't expect an independent adjudicator at every rehearsal for every band.
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

So for your average joe band who suddenly fin themselves without a conductor two days before the area, would not be allowed to compete,a s they wouldn't be able to register a conductor in time.

Great idea :confused:
  15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Oh, I'll quite happily correct you there. Allan Ramsay took every single Lochgelly rehearsal since January the 4th and has been the bands regular conductor. And no, since the resignation of Paul Drury we do not have a regular conductor, hence the situations vacant posting on here recently.
  16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

And you think it would be otherwise? A single performance of a 15 minute piece that most cases NEVER sees a concert stage, to 4 people and a bloke in a velvet lined box whose job is to listen for and penalise all the mistakes? Yeah, that's definitely the true measure of a band :rolleyes:

Contesting is an inherently false situation. It's simply a measure of which bands are best at contesting. Getting a "Professional" conductor in for the contest is just part of that - and has been for getting on for a century and a half.
  17. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

Currently both Bolton Wanderers and Sunderland are in with a shout of qualifying for the Europa Cup for next season.

Wonder if they are thinking of employing Sir Alex or maybe Jose to take them for their Europa campaign?
  18. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Why is there always someone who wants to bring a decent discussion down to gutter level? :biggrin: