The Arcadians

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveR, Feb 14, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm sure there was a thread about the Arcadians a few months ago, but I can't find it now :confused:

As I recall, we were discussing the merits of this piece, and the fact that it should be made available again as it has been out of print for some time. Well, I've just heard from Studio Music who tell me that this is now in reprinting and should be available in a couple of weeks time. Thought there may be people out there who might be interested to know this.

(Someone please tell me I didn't dream the earlier thread? :eek:)

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It often crops up when thinking of favourite pieces not heard tso often these days, but this is probably the thread you were thinking of:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14118&highlight=arcadians

It was one of the pieces on my very first band engagement, and a few months back we had a soloist singing "I gotta motta" in one of our festivals. It will be good to have it available again.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, but as far as I can see, none of them appear to be the thread I was thinking of (dreaming of??)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Lol, I see that it was me who mentioned it! :redface:

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No, it isn't that thread either Peter. I'm stumped. :dunno

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- what information were you after?

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No, I'm not after any information, I just remember this conversation and was going to post the first post in this thread in that older thread. I'm just puzzled because I can't find the original conversation!

It's a sorry state of affairs if I've spent so much time on here that I'm starting to invent threads in my sleep ;)

9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

David, was that discussion not on Nigel Horne's mailing list rather than tMP? I remember the discussion too. If I remember rightly there was some confusion between those who had read the original thread about Arthur Wood's 'Arcadians' and those who naturally assumed that they were discussing the (much better known) overture to Lionel Monckton's operetta of the same name. I don't know Wood's piece but would be interested to see and hear it as he was a Harrogate resident at one time.

I would guess that it's the Monckton that Studio are reprinting.

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh, it could have been on Nigel's mailing list. That would explain why I can't find it on here! :oops: I'm so used to the mailing list being fairly quiet, that it didn't occur to me to check there! Doh! :redface:

Just to add a bit of confusion to the issue - it may be the Wood that they are reprinting. I quote the email I received here: "We have an arrangement for brass band, It is arranged Wood, at the moment it is re-printing and will be available in the next 2 weeks."

The overture is by arranged (?)Talbot somebody or other isn't it? In which case, this isn't the piece I was enquiring about!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arcadians
    months
    couple of weeks time
    piece
    earlier thread
  12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

A quick Google search shows that it was Howard Talbot that arranged the Arcadians. However, the same Google search shows that Harrogate Band have a set of "Arcadians Overture - Monckton L (arr. Wood)". So David, you can see this one whenever you want ;)

13. Straightmute

Thanks David, but I knew that we have the Monckton overture in the library (trust a librarian to spot that!!!!) and it can stay there! But Arthur Wood also wrote an original piece called Arcadians (or possibly Arcadia) for orchestra, and that's the one I'd really like to see.

Howard Talbot was the librettist.

D

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. Straightmute

Yes thanks, I saw that article a few years ago when the band recorded our 'Made in Harrogate' CD. I wanted to do more of Woods' work at that time but space prevented it. Even thought of arranging 'Three More Dale Dances' for band, but they're not as good as the first set IMHO.

He does indicate that information about Woods' music is hard to come by; apart from Barwick Green snippets that's probably the most complete source.

D

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Just to throw a spanner in the works ... this is from a programme I googled on the net ...

"The Arcadians - Overture - Lionel Monckton and Howard Talbot (arr. Wood)"

http://www.selville.abel.co.uk/elo.htm

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Let down by Google! :(

Thanks for putting me right David. I'll be interested to see what Studio Music actually deliver!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Dave, I've dug out an LP recording of the Lockwood Band (Peter Kitson) [after 1971] and it has The Arcadians on it ... L. Monkton arr. Wood.

... more interesting is that it is euph. player David French's old band!

{.... just noticed ---- WOOOO HOOOOO! 3000th POST!! ---- aw well}