The all-new "Nightshift" thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bbg, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bbg

bbg Member

I remember a thread unting all the tMP night owls from a while back, and as I now have to develop an interest in this topic, I thought I'd resurrect the thread and ask for some advice at the same time.

After 35 years of "daytime" working, I start shifts for the first time ever soon.
    12 hour shifts, 8am - 8pm in an office environment. Looking for some tips as to how to prepare / adjust the old body clock - particularly when preparing for a first nightshift after 2 or 3 rest days. Bed as normal the night before and try to stay up all day? Late bed , late rise? Normal bed and an afternoon "nap"?

All advice / scaremongering welcome!!
  2. wife divine

wife divine Supporting Member

Normal bed and afternoon nap of about three hours works for me. My shifts are 20.30 to 8.00hrs.
  3. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

The Night Shift, the great depressor, the best thing about working nights, while I drove around the country, was less car drivers about and I could just drop my trailor and pick another up, then back to the depot, for someone else to tip. Memories.
  4. wife divine

Anyone else at work at the moment ? ( Santa doesn't count - only does one annual night shift )
  5. Not me, retired, you know?
  6. RossAB

RossAB Member

A day late in replying, but I'm currently sat in work! Normally I wouldn't want to work nights on Christmas, but for double pay, couldn't really turn it down!
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Hello Brian! As an ex-stalwart of the old tmp nightshift massive, can I suggest a physically easier but slightly less sociable version of sleep-management between days and nights. After you finish nights stay up till lunchtime and have a kip in the afternoon (that way if u need to do anything you have time in the morning) then on your days off aim to sleep from roughly 4am to midday thus allowing you time to get stuff done in the afternoon. If you are back on days then shove your time back a couple of hours each night between but the 4-12 thing works well from nights to nights. Basically you're always gonna be knackered on your first shift either way.....:confused:
  8. bbg

bbg Member

Thanks's a long story (mainly to do with management changes at our principal client) but the blooming shifts haven't started yet although we're assured that 1 March is the long awaited (?) day. Been 9 to 5 ing since October whilst waiting for developments.
    At least by March the worst of the weather should be over , making the 12 mile drive along the A9 each way a bit better, although in reality we've had an incredibly mild winter. A particular band job last winter saw me drive home in -10 temperatures - 52 weeks on and I did the same drive when it was +11.
    How are things in Englandshire anyway? Still nightshifting for the good ol' NHS yourself?
    My new job , by the way, is with a (Private sector!!) OH supplier...............:)
  9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Not a nightshift in sight.... they're threatening to bring them in but I didn't have it as a contract option so they can't make me! And re the weather there's still time for snow! Although I believe you've had some? :D
  10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I used to stay up straight through upon finishing my last night shift, eat high energy foods (lots of nuts) and keep busy, then hit the sack at a normal time, sleep like a normal human being for the rest days, then push my bedtime/risetime backwards towards going back on nights, although I did 4 on 4 off regular nights, so it wasn't too bad. . . I was a big fan of late night baseball on channel 5 back then :) happy days!!
  11. bbg

bbg Member

Hi! Just sat and re-worked the proposed rota that we received yesterday, before a team meeting tomorrow to sort out who's doing what (typical that the said meeting has been called on one of my holiday days that need taken before the shifts start!). Kicking off on Mon 27/2 we think, and a strong possibility of doing nights/weekends from home if all the IT can be put in place in time.
    No snow yet - been forecast regularly for about 2 weeks but other than a wee dusting up in Scone the other night, not a flake seen although it's been gey cold and icy a few times of late. We had our residential rehearsal weekend for the "Scottish" two weeks ago - just a few miles from the Glenshee ski-slopes, it was about 5 or 6 degrees colder than it was here in Perth, barely 30 miles away.

Gary - thanks for the tips - we're looking at a 2 and 3 day on/off pattern to try to get aternate weekends off, so sometimes only a 2 day turnaround from 3 days on to 2 nights or vice versa, not a lot of time to "adjust" sleep patterns but we'll see how it pans out.
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I used to post regularly in the old thread, when I was a security guard but now I'm teaching brass, I find people are reluctant to have lessons at night?! Lots of lie-ins for me :)
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I dont work nights but start at 5am in the morning till about 2pm get a day off in the week.
  14. bbg

bbg Member

Started shifts at long last - right now, on second night of second rotation. Not quite got the old body clock completely adjusted yet. This is probably the latest (earliest?) that I've ever posted on tMP, sitting here all alone in the office waiting for someone to feel ill as it were. Not getting the "afternoon naps" quite right yet and indeed haven't slept for more than five and a half hours between any two 12 hour shifts. Three dayshifts Wed /Thu /Fri, a day at the Scottish Champs followed by a wee celebratory party on Saturday and I was in the car and heading for home by 9pm! Never mind, finish at 7.30 then off until dayshift Saturday...
  15. wife divine

Christmas is here. I'm at work again. Don't suppose there's anyone else out there ???????:icon_rolleyes:
  16. Not working, but on here. Hi Jean. Merry Christmas, and thanks for the C.D.s
  17. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

I was on as well, but didn't get near the computer all night.....Hopefully tonight will be better...
  18. wife divine

Hope you get on tMP tonight Euph - I'm working as well ! :icon_razz:
  19. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I wish that we could use t'interweb at work, it's not allowed, it might help the 10 hour night shifts pass quicker...........not even allowed a mobile phone :(