The $64000 Dollar Headache....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by masterharper64, Nov 4, 2010.

1. masterharper64

masterharper64 New Member

A member of our newly formed parish council,who is aware of my love of all things brass,has,today,approached me with a small project...to look into the feasability of creating a band for local players which can promote the identity of the area.Her exact words were..."Rob here's into brass bands!Maybe he can set one of them up?":-?:-?:eek:

Now,despite my years of playing,the admin side has always been a complete dark side to me...so,can anybody give me some idea of the kind of things I should look for,should I choose to take on this suicide mission,such as where can I go for funding,PRS regs,etc.,etc.,etc.

All and any advice gratefully received!!!!!!

2. still learnin

still learnin Member

Tough project! Are you really starting totally from scratch? Do you at least have a core of players that you think may be interested in joining? All you need then is instruments and somewhere to practice. Maybe your Parish Councillor could use her influence to help you find funding, she'd probably love the opportunity to get into the local press to talk about her idea, that would give you coverage. Another option may be to team up with the local music service to capitalise on some young talent that they are bringing along (they might arrange for you use a school as a venue as well). Ongoing sponsorship is unlikely until you get to a standard that a local company would want to associate itself with.

Will other bands support you or will they see you as a threat, after their players? They could possibly help with second hand instruments if you started as their training or social band.

3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Good luck with that one, IME most music services try to distance themselves from local bands.

Unless you're really enthusiastic and confident that you'd get the right support, 'no' is the word you're looking for....

4. Souter

Souter Member

If you are seriously thinking about it - contact one of the Scottish (SBBA) committee members - we have an excellent support and advice system for new bands up here. This is working - proof is in the pudding (as they say) with the Youth Band Championships where 34 youth bands are competing. We also have 4 (I think) "new" senior bands started in the past few years.

5. masterharper64

Still Learning - Yes,I am starting completely from scratch.Being fairly new to the area,i'm completely unaware of what level of interest there would be among the local populace.So,i've got to get some idea,first of all,as to whether there are enough local players.We are also still,very much,a new-build area so community facilities are still quite minimal...although,I have had an assurance from my "friend" on the P.C. that she will do all in her power to find us rehearsal space if anything gets off the ground.As far as the local schools music service,is concerned,I don't hold out much hope for assistance from there as they are already stretched to the limit and are about to lose out in the local authority's funding cuts.

Souter - Thanks for the information.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That's your starting point. See what's available to form a community wide band of sorts. Schools provide instruments, so at least (with appropriate permissions, e.g., teachers, parents) a nucleus can be generated. Best of luck!

7. Kjata

Kjata Member

Is this actually in Peterborough? I can tell you that it's like getting blood out of a stone trying to find players or anyone who want to do brass bands, it's unfortunately a bit of a dead area for brass...!
    You're probably best going to King's School (my old secondary school) and asking the head of music there. If you want some help then feel free to contact me, details on my profile.

8. masterharper64

I'm actually out at Hampton so most of the people around are,like myself,newcomers,Paul...pretty much untested waters.So,the areas i'm hoping to pick up interest is Hampton/Yaxley/Stilton-ish rather than City and North but thanks for the advice.I have friends whose daughters go to Kings..

9. Kjata

Kjata Member

Ahh okay. If you need some help sourcing then feel free to give me a bell. I'm not around in Peterborough properly until easter now, but if I am then i'll happily help.

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think the other question to ask is "what quality group do they expect?" and if it is high...how many years are they willing to wait (and support you)?

I've helped start a brass band myself, and without 1) a core group as other's have mentioned, and 2) community support and funding it's difficult to get a high level group together.

If however, they're simply looking for a non-contesting group to play a few gigs...you can probably get a scratch band from some of the other local bands to make it happen.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rob
    Dollar Headache
    things brass
    years
    identity
  12. masterharper64

Thanks,Paul.The offer is greatly appreciated.

13. masterharper64

Dublin,I think the idea is,at the moment,that they're looking for a concert band rather than a contesting one...and they are only looking at whether or not it's a viable idea.As Kjata mentioned earlier,it doesn't seem to be a big banding area and i'm working on the pretext that i'm living in an area where most of the populace are from outside Peterborough and that that may have brought in a few players from 'foreign' parts....

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the extra info. A couple of things come to mind then.
    1) If they want to promote the area, are they willing to pay this new band for at least 3-4 perfmances a year (e.g. Rememberance Day, etc...) that could not only help with finances but promote the legitimacy of the group.

2) If players are an issue, You may want to start with a 12-piece group just to get it going and get some inertia in the right direction. There are many brass band arrangements that are so thickly scored they work just fine with half a band.

15. David Mann

David Mann Member

As it's only 6(!) weeks to Xmas, you could organise a community carol sing, with an invitation to bring your instrument along, music provided to suit wind instruments (new SA carol books are perfect as they have books for most clefs and transpositions), then sign 'em all up in the pub over a glass of mulled wine!

16. masterharper64

Sadly,David,the local community church already has that idea sewn up.I am in the process of preparing an item to go into the local free press after Christmas and,hopefully,the local community website too.Meanwhile,i'm trying to arrange an appointment to see the local high schools Head of Music...a seemingly very busy man as he has cancelled twice already!:cool: