Thanks to the Brits!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jan H, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Today my band played at a commeration ceremony for the 60th anniversary of the libration of our village from the German occupation. The ceremony was attended by several Belgian and British WWII veterans (who are making a tour through France, Belgium and Holland, following their footsteps of 60 years ago). Also a number of British soldiers from the "Kings Own Scottish Borderers regiment" were present and they unveiled a plate (plaquet?) on the war memorial statue in our village centre.

It was a very nice ceremony. it realy made me think about how gratefull we really have to be for these brave people who made it possible that we have now been living in peace and friendship for 60 years.

That's all I wanted to say.

(oh and I's also like to apologize for my bad playing in God Save The Queen... :( )
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

They really were the bravest of the brave...and that goes for everyone who played their part in whatever way they could.
    The fact that you are free to say your thanks proves that they did not fight (and in so many cases die) for nothing.
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I took part in a few of these celebrations during the victory europe celebrations a few years back. they really are moving occasions. I was exstremely proud to represent the 4th battalion of the Kings Own Shropshire Light Infantry. We were always very well recieved by the towns folk of the villages and towns were we played.

one of the most moving we played at was underneath the Menim gate were thousands of soldiers died liberating, and then defending the town.