Thanks to all the deps!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davethetuba, Jul 21, 2007.

1. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

As a conductor of a band that needs a few players to get through an engagement, I would just like to say thanks to all those people who are willing to help out other bands such as mine. Without these dedicated people, who are willing to give up their free hours, many a band would not be able to function. Many thanks!!

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I feel compelled to mirror the comments made by davethetuba.

We (very luckily) now find ourselves in a very happy position of having a completely full band (apart from one BBbbass), but it has only come about after some pretty tough years of searching for full time players and borrowing Deps to fill the gaps in the mean time.
    Even now with a full band, work commitments and holidays etc mean we still need to borrow the odd player.
    I'd just like to say a huge thank you to all the people who have helped us out (there are quite a few), and also an equally big thank you to all those that we still regulary rely on, without you guys Emley probably wouldn't have a band to talk about now.
    Thank you. :clap: :tup

(Dave, hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread, I just thought it was a worthy sentiment that wouldn't be harmed from a bit of moral support.)

3. on the subject of DEPS!

Hudds brass have been relying on a few deps this year, including heavily on TROMBONE deps, and with me being the only Trombone player at H.A.R.B.E. I can only keep saying a massive thank you to the players who help us, especially the trombone deps!

4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

4br have today published their August editorials, which include a section about deps and paying for them.

I have to admit to being rather taken aback by their hardline stance over professional musicians which I really can't agree with. What do other people think?

(BTW I have to echo the original sentiments of this thread. Good deps are worth their weight in gold and I thank you all!)

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To my eye, they don't appear to take an explicit stance over professional musicians in their August editorial. What do you infer from it?

6. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

The way I read it was that professional musicians shouldn't charge bands their usual rate, simply because it's a brass band.

I'm not knocking the many people who are happy to play for petrol money and a couple of pints, if that much. Indeed, my own band would seriously have struggled without 'em right at the moment. I've done it myself and had a damn good time into the bargain.
    But as a professional musician: if a band I have no connection with rings me 'out of the blue' to go and play for them, why shouldn't I charge them what I would charge anyone else? If they can't afford that, then they say what they can afford and I can decide whether to compromise or turn them down.

The tone of the article struck me as very damning towards pros who are only trying to make a living same as everyone else. If the bandroom toilet starts leaking, or the power packs up, would you expect to pay a plumber or electrician half price just because you're a brass band? No of course not. Well, my chosen career is music and it works the same way.

There is of course no need to be rude to any band who is calling you out of genuine need and offering you what they can afford to offer; that would be right out of order. But bands have to get real as well - you can't ring someone who normally charges at the very least £50 a gig, ask them to come and sight-read a two-hour programme, and get offended when they won't do it for a tenner.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'd assumed that the phrase "no real affiliation to any band" was intended to apply to people for whom it might be felt reasonable to assume that they were affiliated to one. Then their target is people who exist solely within banding who charge "over the odds" (whatever that may mean).

I agree though, segueing into an anecdote about an established professional player playing for free undermines this a bit. If they are trying to suggest that people who depend on music for their livelihood should charge a low rate for a random band job, they are indeed way off the mark.

There is a middle ground, though, which perhaps they are trying to allude to - music performance students. A lot of these are not stronger players than a good number of players in bands (and are sometimes a great deal weaker), but some will ask for professional fees as a matter of course. I don't know what the standard advice to students from tutors is, but there is a potential clash of cultures there.
    Maybe this confusion of targets is why the focus of their comments is so unclear...