Thank you once more Fulham Brass Band...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

... and Crystal Palace Band too. I had my final rehearsal with FBB last night where I was gratefully indulged in playing through Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. Alas, a bu**er of a cold over the last two weeks put paid to the levels of practice that I wanted to do and though the valves went down at the right time, the lips and stamina didn't quite work as I would have liked. Nevertheless, I'm extremely grateful to Fulham for indulging me so!

Not only that, Will had collated all those lovely tMP tributes in addition to a few individual ones from Fulham and my old band Crystal Palace to put in my 'leaving' card, and if you ask Will the Sec nicely, he may tell you the story of the 'underpants', how an Eb trumpet (the one I was using last night for the Haydn!) got to be 'derailed', and how Howard Snell's arrangement of Nessun Dorma sounded distinctly 'different' from usual in a version specially tailored for a Belgian audience! I can't thank Will enough (and John Burns of course!) for collaborating to get all those lovely tributes as well of course, as the farewell messages from FBB in the 'leaving' card. As a pressie, they got me a lovely baton and baton case from JP Guivieres in London (best place for both, if you ask me), though I wonder if they're trying to tell me something as I haven't used a baton in conducting for nigh on three years! ;-) I might have used a baton for other things, but not conducting! :shock:

Anyway, I certainly shall be using that lovely new baton (for conducting, honest!) and thank you all at Fulham for chipping in to get that and the baton case for me!