Thank you Burbage Silver Band...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by needmorevodka, Oct 5, 2007.

1. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

...for the warm welcome I received Wednesday evening. That was my first band rehearsal in about 3 years and it was lovely to meet you, I had a great time.

Mell, I'm glad you shouted my name across the car park as I was getting nervous and dithering :D

Looking forward to seeing you all at the Twycross job tomorrow, I'll try to keep the strange noises to a minimum!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burbage Silver Band
    Twycross
    :D
    Mell
    band rehearsal
  3. mell c

mell c Member

It was brilliant hearing the sop parts and my motto is (even though i get told of for it ) play it loud, play it proud.
    No problem for the shout out, glad it helped.
    Looking forward to seeing you at the concert.
    Thanks Mell x

P.S there was a problem with earlier replies being merged with Burbage Band (Buxton). This has now been sorted but previous replies have been deleted from both threads.

4. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Yes, spotted that. But since it had been the friendliness of the thread that finally convinced me to dust off my sop and come along, I thought I would repeat what I said here, just in case there's anyone else out there feeling nervous :)

See you later,
    Becks x

5. mell c

mell c Member

Thanks for that Becky (our newest recruit)
    wahey we now have a sop !

And i'm more than willing to do more shout outs for anyone else that wants to come along. Go on you might even enjoy it ! (we do)
    (See thread Burbage Silver Band vacancies)

6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I'd love to come along, can you shout loud enough? I'm in Sheffield LOL
    Always like to give other "Silver" Bands a shout, is it just us or do you always get asked why your called a "Silver" Band too? Different explanations people have guessed are: We all play brass instruments/We all play silver instruments/We won a silver prize for something or another/We don't have a woodwind section/It sounds nice and sparkly!

RSVP!

7. David Mann

David Mann Member

I believe it was a bit of Victorian one-upmanship. Cheaper instruments were unlacquered brass, for more money silver plated ones looked better and had more prestige. I suppose if polymer scientists had been around at that time, I might now be MD of Gretton Cross-linked Polyester Resin Band!

8. mell c

mell c Member

I've got a big mouth but i don't think i could shout that far lol. I have been asked on occasion why we a silver band. I usually say i don't know but now i think i will give the answer "because it sounds nice and sparkly". i like it lol.
    x mell x

9. Robhibberd29

Ha ha ha very posh! Well we've got plastic mouthpieces now so you never know!!

10. Robhibberd29

Yes Becky tells me you have a big mouth LOL!! only jesting!

I too like the nice and sparkly explanation, if only it were true! I've asked my band to buy me a new Rath Bass Trom so it would look even sparklier but that excuse didn't work! Shocker!

11. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Our BassBone player has just bought a Rath Bass Bone.Looks really sparkly.And sounds good too!!!!!
    CubbRep.:tup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burbage Silver Band
    Twycross
    :D
    Mell
    band rehearsal
  13. Robhibberd29

I'm v jealous! I told my band it would look really sparkly but they didn't believe me!

14. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

It's pretty good for around £3000.:clap: Your band probably can't afford it at the moment.Anyway,lets get back on track.Burbage Silver are playing at the pubs in Burbage village tonight to raise some well needed cash.I will be playing solo cornet and Mell C will be playing Flugel.And Becky is coming all the way from Rugby to play sop.Most of the other players are local.
    Just to plug the band again,they need as many players,young and old to join.No matter what standard you are.
    Come along and have a blow,they are a really friendly bunch.
    CubbRep:tup

15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

but is it sparkly, the deciding factor

16. Robhibberd29

I would come if I wasn't playing myself tonight with Killamarsh Silver Band in the Loyal Trooper in South Anston. Even though it's an hour and a half, you sound like a nice group and I love playin!

17. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

NOT ARFFF!!!!!

18. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Bit of a trek from Killamarsh to Burbage.You would never make it in time.:p

19. Robhibberd29

Ooh sparkly sparkly, just like my eyes have gone!

20. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I take it that you would love a Rath Bass Bone?
    Got to go now as I am going to play in Burbage;)

21. Robhibberd29

Yes I would love one! Ive got to go now too cos I'm playing in South Anston!! Say Hi to Becky for me!

22. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Hi Rob, you really must pop down and see us you know. It's not that far and we are very nice :D