Text Messaging whilst driving - fines significantly increased...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Sep 4, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and rightly so. Although unconfirmed at the moment, here is find an article from this weeks Fleet Press magazine.

Police in Wales will use cameras to spot drivers sending or reading a text message so they can be issued an expensive ticket.

Police in South Wales have raised the fine for sending or reading a text message while driving from £30 to £1000. The offence will also raise the insurance rates of offenders as six points will be added to the driver's licence. This increase is made under UK's "driving without due care and attention" statute, which can carry a fine of up to £2500.

Police will be stopping anyone seen looking down while driving which they believe is a sign that the motorist is composing a text message with a phone or Blackberry-style device on his lap. Police will also use long-range cameras to issue expensive photo tickets for the offence.

In 2004, a test of ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras in parts of the UK resulted in 20,290 camera tickets for minor seat belt and mobile phone violations. These cameras are expected to be deployed throughout the country by the end of the year.

2. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

They should reinforce this with all the drivers who still think it's okay to drive whilst on the phone...

3. Di

Di Active Member

Its the lorry drivers that scare me. Leaning on the stearing wheel with elbows, paper open, phone in one hand and sandwich in another! Yes I've seen that! :eek:

4. TheMusicMan

... should ban them from the middle lane of a motorway when it's raining...:D

I read an RAC/AA report somewhere recently that stated one third of the capacity of the UK motorway system would be freed up if all drivers used lanes correctly.

5. Di

Di Active Member

Ah, middle laning - we have a whole topic on that HERE. :wink:

6. flower girl

flower girl Member

god i always txt when i'm driving!!!!

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Given what John's just said, do you really think you should be sharing that with a public forum?!
    BMB
    xx

8. Di

Di Active Member

What she meant to say was

"I always used to text whilst driving" ;)

9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Great idea, you cant possibly concentrate on driving and texting - just as long as the upper limits are imposed regularly, they need to be if it is going to deter drivers.

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The split-second that you pick up your phone while driving, you have effectively lost control over the vehicle. Reaction times are astronomical and it defies all logic how you can drive in a town/city centre with a mobile phone clamped to your ear because how can you change gear? Even in an automatic, you really need to change gear to neutral when you stop else you will eventually end up wrecking the transmission.
    Its even worse with texting as you having to think about which buttons you need to press as well as the primary task of driving. I really would like people who use their phones while driving to pulled by the police and shown very graphic pictures of crashes caused by people making calls or texting, then they might get the message that it is extremely dangerous.
    Its mainly through idiots like these (and I'm not apologising to those who I may be insulting), that the roads are not as safe as they used to be. If you can't live without your phone for however long it takes to find a safe and legal place to pull over, then use public transport. Either that or get a hands free kit, and stay hands free.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fleet Press
    ANPR
    Wales
    UK
    South Wales
  12. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

personaly i think its great news, to see these fines increased. alot could be said for other activitvites done whilst driving.

How many people have taken their eyes off the road to find a particular radio station or track on a cd?
    what about smoking at the wheel, surley this is one of the most dangerous activities? will smokers be done aswell? i doubt it! should they? to bl00dy right!

13. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

how about ban lorry drivers & 2nd lane driving all together??

14. Di

Di Active Member

No can do. Its hard enough for them anyway, and for caravans, don't lets start a rant on caravan drivers!

If there's really slow traffic in the inside lane, they're gonna have to overtake. Trouble is when you get slow traffic in the middle lane, they're not allowed in the third lane and then you do have to sit it out until people budge over! :mad:

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I would agree with this.

The amount of times I have seen a lorry in the inside lane doing 60mph and a lorry overtaking in the middle lane doing 61mph. It then takes them forever and a day to get past the lorry in the inside lane - by which time the traffic in the middle lane has built up for miles and the traffic in the outside lane won't give an inch to those in the middle lane because they 'can't possibly allow anyone to be in front of them even for 3 seconds to allow them to overtake the slow coach lorry in the middle lane'.

Maybe this should be in the other thread - hohum!!!!!

**Breath**

16. TheMusicMan

Oh and another thing while we're at it... what gives a lorry driver the right to simply indicate for 1 second and then pull out of their lane regardless of anyone willingly giving way...???

.... attitude and size I guess!!!!! Ban them from anywhere but the left hand lane in the rain I say.

17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

NO!!!! Ban them from anywhere but the left hand lane - whether it's raining or not. They're a nuisance - at any time of the day - whatever the weather.

18. Di

Di Active Member

I had TWO pull out on me on the way home tonight, the first i was just behind him, the second, I was half way round him and i caught sight of his front indicator and he just swung out, forcing me into the outside lane. Fortunately, I was able to squeeze in just in time in front of the car travelling in the third lane!

But no .... you can't ban lorries from the middle lane. Many big cumbersome lorries do travel a lot slower than 60. If everyone was forced to stay behind them, they'd be queues for miles. I know it is annoying when they take hours to overtake, those that, like you say, insist on doing that one mile an hour more, but they can't be forced to stay behind the slower ones.

The worst thing is getting caught in the middle lane, with a string of lorries on the inside, indicating to pull back into the inside lane only for them to refuse to open up a gap. :mad: I got caught as such and totally missed my junction by them refusing to let me in. Had to travel all the way down to the next, round the roundabout and drive back north again. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

19. flower girl

flower girl Member

thats exactly what i meant, just a slip of the finger while typing. :oops:

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

so you've passed your driving test now I take it? :-|

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

So how are they gonna distinguish between people texting and those turning the radio up?!?!? My phone cradle is right next to the radio volume control!! Am I gonna get fined for trying to hear the traffic reports better?!?!?

And smokers!!! (Pet hate!!) When are they gonna ban smoking behind the wheel?!?!? I'm gonna start driving round with a lit distress flare in my hand because it appears that they don't mind if you have something potentially hazardous in your hand as long as you can't talk in to it!! On the same footing are they gonna ban turning to talk to your passenger?!?!?

In the event of a car crash where there is a fual spillage I know which I'd rather drop in to my lap given the choice between a cig and a phone!!! There's a slim chance that a mobile could ignite fuel, it's a dead cert that a cigarette will!!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fleet Press
    ANPR
    Wales
    UK
    South Wales