Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScreamingSop, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Just a quick thread, Our band is coming round to choose a own choice test piece for nest years contest season.
    We are a top 1st Section band (2nd NW areas and 6th Nationals) and i was wondering what pieces are considered too easy now and visa versa.??
    (good sop part is always appreciated!)
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Philip Sparke's Tallis Variations could be a popular choice for your band! :cool:
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Tallis is good! :) Land of the Long White Cloud? Spectrum?
  4. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

spectrum and long white cloud have been mentioned but it was debateable whether they were a touch on the lower end 1st/ top 2nd section standard (particularly long white cloud)

I want something like Judges of the secret court or Essence of Time but not sure
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

English Heritage is nice
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Other works that are borderline tests to start edging into the Championship prizelist you might consider are:- Sounds (John Golland), Trittico (James Curnow) or even Salamander (John McCabe). (... I listened to your band's soundclips!!! ;) ).
  7. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

did you???
    what did you think???
    i was gonna suggest sounds and festival music (love it!)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Me review soundclips? heheheh! As teamwork goes, the band sounds well trained for the recording, as the attention to articulation/score detail shows throughout the excerpts. The enthusiasm of the players is another thing I noticed. My own opinion is that if the playing is enjoyed by the performer, that will spread to the listener and enhance it's intrinsic value. :)shock: .... ooh-errr!). Apart from that, difficult to say much more since studio recordings tend to be usually modded to increase their market value.

The soundclips for the band can be heard on link below:-

9. peatair

peatair Member

A top 1st Section band - how about:

Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms - Arthur Butterworth
    Les Preludes - Liszt - arr Bram Gay
    Whitsun Wakes - Michael Ball
    Paganini Variations - Philip Wilby
    Spectrum - Gilbert Vinter
    Essence of Time - Peter Graham
  10. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

How about Journey Into Freedom?
    Used to be hard for top-section, not really now.
    My all-time favourite test piece though ;)

I second Essence of Time.

English Heritage - requires some good corner players...
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Trittico too (not sure if it is too easy - worth listening to a recording though)

Essence of Time is good too :)

might be easier to help if we knew which sections of your band are the strongest.

For instance If your baritones and tenor horns are really good, then Chivalry might work.
  12. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

There might be some mileage in something more traditional. Adjudicators are always keen to hear something that they haven't heard before or not heard for a long while.

Some food for thought:

The Frogs of Aristophenes
    La Forza Del Destino
    Le Corsair
    Life Divine
    Resurgam - on second thoughts, this might have been done to death a bit more recently though...
  13. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

well we have a fantastic principal and top euph. along with the rest of the corner seats, the bases probs the weakest section.
    recently played
    Pagentry (played it to death tho, some good results)
    Coventry (amazing, got 2nd on it)
    King of Elflands Daughter (nationals)
    London Overture (ahhhh!)

we played through partita (sparke) the other nite which was ok but think maybe bit hard, dunno tho??
    Love essence of time and festival music plus others like journey into freedom, chivalry (played it to death at uni)
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea :lol: I'd do Chivarly ;-) seeing as you already know it after us playing it 2/3 times in uni last year ;-)

Good parts all round... great piece! :D
  15. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yeah its a good piece!
    perhaps we ought to do it how we performed it under Martin Ellerby himself so it lasts 20 mins!!
  16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol:!!!! yea.... I was glad of that really.... cos I had the timpani part for the first time ever and the changes are quite quick! :lol:
  17. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Philip Sparke's Partita - your trombone section will love it!

Trombone, Northop Silver
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Older pieces? Diadem Of Gold (George Bailey arr, Frank Wright)...will please some of your ex-Fairey colleagues, Energy (Robert Simpson), Freedom (Hubert Bath) and one more fairly recent (and ignored?) work ... Atlantic (Philip Wilby)
  19. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

Firestorm (Stephen Bulla)
    Trittico (curnow)
    Connotations or Dances and Arias (Gregson....fantastic!!!)
    Is it James Cook Circumnavigator (that's superb!)?!
    Entertainments (Vinter)
    Spectrum! (Vinter)
    Year of the Dragon (Sparke) or Partita
    Variations on a ninth?! is that the title!? i'm tired at the moment!!! (Vinter i think!)
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yup, VoaN :)