TEST PIECES & HOUSE NAMES

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

How many of you have got your house named after a Test Piece or anything connected with music/brass bands.
    The Name of my house is
    Le Roi d'YS

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Nope.

Our house is called "Hacienda", and no, it wasn't named after the nightclub in Manchester, or indeed the chain of shops either :)

It was actually called "Spanish House" when we bought it, and it IS Spanish style - down to the white stucco plaster and tiled floors downstairs, so "Hotel California" also was in the frame.

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Nope... but I know someone whos house is called "Allegro"....

:)

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Did you really call your house that? Fair enough if you did - 'Main Street' would have been too easy wouldn't it? Also, while the house was being built, did you call it 'March To The Scaffold'?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Could always name part of it after Pink Floyd's "The Wall", or "Windows" by Petr Eben ;)

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Roy Roe lives at 'Rienzi'!

7. Syrup

Syrup Member

I can't remember whose it is, but I'm pretty sure someone has theirs named Waverley

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

My house number is 43.

Sometimes, when rehearsing a testpiece, we go from bar 43.

9. jonford

jonford Member

This is a funny thread! My car is called the green machine and that was before Peter Graham's composition! Might name our new student house something though, not found it yet, with student digs suppose it will more likely be Blitz than Harmony music!

10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Somebody who used to sit not too far from me at band has called her new house "Ravenswood". :biggrin:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    HOUSE
    isLe Roi d'YS
    house isLe Roi d'YS
    music
    TEST PIECES
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I think if I called my house anything, when I get my own place, it would be PRAGUE cos everyone hates it.... :lol:

Oooooorrrrrrrrrrr............ something else...... dunnoooooooooo

13. cornetkate

cornetkate Member

I haven't personally but isn't Derek Broadbent's house called "Andante"?

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Our house is called "Belmont" (number 6 in the hymn book!), although we didn't name it, my wife's aunt owned it previously and it was her mother's favorite hymn.

IIRC Richard Evans's house was called "Sinfonietta", but I think he's moved.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I heard from an unrealiable source that Kenneth Downie's house was/is called "Kantara" - hence "music from Kantara" apparently the house was named by the previous occupants and Kenneth Downie never knew what it actually meant - the piece was written there so hence the title.

16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I stayed in a place called Kantara Village, near Limassol in Cyprus. Maybe that's where it's from?

17. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

As everyone in the North East probably knows, the Wayfarer pub in Haswell County Durham was so-named by John and Linda Cook of Ever ready when they owned the pub in the 80's. (and it's named after the Eric Ball piece)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

...only definition I could find was "mountain water cascades over boulders in the stream" and that was from a place called Sukantara, in Thailand.

http://www.sawadee.com/chiangmai/sukantara/details/

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well imagine if your house was called:
    'Variations on an Enigma by Edward Elgar arranged by Eric Ball but only the excerpts as used for the National Brass Band Championships of 2003'

Personally, I'd have just settled for 'Nimrod'

:)

My house on Arran is called 'Harefield'. Any brass band pieces called Harefield out there? Perhaps someone could write one. Come on bunny boy, this one's tailor-made for you..... :)

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could always turn it into an anagram in homage to the Man Utd thread:

"Ha - ref lied"

;) ;) ;)

21. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I know someone who has called his house Resurgam!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    HOUSE
    isLe Roi d'YS
    house isLe Roi d'YS
    music
    TEST PIECES