Test Pieces for Training Band

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

What test piece(s) would you recommend for a young training band to play?

Players are mainly c. grade 2-3 standard, but vary from just starting to grade 5, and are looking to do a contest or two next year.

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    grade
    Test Pieces
    young training band
    contest
    year
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

The Four Cities Symphony (Rodney Newton) is relatively easy for most of the parts and not only that, but it's a nice tune so will hopefully please audiences and players alike.

4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I like Eric Ball's "Young in Heart".

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Go for Eric Ball perhaps? Indian Summer or Divertimento.

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

•SVoR
    (1993) for Brass Band (Noteservice) (dur: 7)
    A suite on Norwegian folk-songs: Sprindans, Vuggesang and Reinlender. Commissioned by Brøttum Musikkforening

it's a brilliant piece, well worth trying..

7. Frontman

Frontman Member

London River and Rufford Abbey would be plenty difficult enough for your young players to play and enjoy.

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Little Suite For Brass Number 1

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

That's really nice to play - i think your youngsters would like it a lot.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

This might be a stretch for the players you have got at the moment Neil but would agree with the suggestion of young in heart. Also have a look at Francis Clifford's stuff - you'll remember that I have used it with the youth (training) band that I conduct and that its very pleasing on the ear. Film Music Suite might be just what you are looking for.

Also have a look on the mostyn music website as there are a few pieces that could work (such as St Andrew's Variations)

Hope that helps, good luck getting the band contesting. Are they going to try entertainment contests too? Much more appealing to the youngsters I found!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    grade
    Test Pieces
    young training band
    contest
    year
  13. Saddleworth Festival Overture, A Psalm for all Nations, Haslemere suite, First suite in Eb, Othello

14. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Thanks for all your suggestions - we'll have a go at a few and hopefully enter our first contests next year ;)

15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Rare for me I know but totally agreeing with Mr Perks here ;)- and what a fab middle movement too.