Test Pieces for Junior Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritoneosh, Nov 17, 2010.

1. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Hi all,

In a couple of weeks I will be conducting the junior band at a local competition which requires a hymn and test piece.

I'm sorted for this year, but I'm already thinking about next year, has anyone got suggestions about a test piece for a junior band which is grade 3 - 5.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Junior Band Hi
    Junior Band
    Test Pieces
    local competition
    hymn
  3. Di B

Di B Member

Big difference between grades 3 and 5...

What stronger/weaker seats you have in the band might help people offer suggestions?

4. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Hi Di

The stronger sections are the Solo Cornets, Horns, Euph and Bass Trom and Solo Trom.

2nd/3rd cornets are grade 3, the above are grade 4.

5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I did a couple of movements of Alan Fernie's 'Anglian Dances' with my school band in a contest. They also had a play through the other movements and it was tricky but playable (having said that, my front row were all above grade 5 standard). Fab piece and very melodic.

6. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Having listened to it again though, have remembered the last movement is quite tasty in places for less experienced players- still fab though!

7. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks Kate

Will have a look if we have a copy in our bandroom.

Any more suggestions please?!

Thanks

8. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

I'm Currently doing 'Music for Greenwich', Edward Gregson, with a school band. Tough, but great themes and kids are loving it.
    Adventures in Brass, Ray Farr? Again tough, but meaty and they'll be humming it between rehearsals.
    Northumbrian suite, Stuart Johnston. not bad either.
    I, too, could do with some inspiration for next year!

9. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

I think adventures in brass might prove a bit difficult, but i'll have a look to see if the other two are at the bandroom.

Any more ideas, this is a big help.

10. Castiger

Castiger New Member

Because some of our training band are now 'senior' players and some are adult learners we have just recently played in the 'ungraded' section of the SWBBA contest with 'The Rising Generation' by Edrich Siebert. Originally written for the 4th Section Regionals in 1972 it is fairly straight forward with nothing too exposed. The band now ranges from absolute beginners to those reaching grade 5/6 level and we did it with 19 brass players and a percussionist. Worth a look.

11. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Cheers for this.

Will have a look for them in the band's library tommorrow. If anyone has more suggestions keep em coming. I think other folk are looking for ideas as well!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Junior Band Hi
    Junior Band
    Test Pieces
    local competition
    hymn
  13. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Try St. Andrews Variations by Alan Fernie. A cracking little test piece that was used for the Australian youth 'B' section, I think, a couple of yeas ago. I conducted it at a contest with Whitwell Brass a couple of years ago and the band really enjoyed it as did the audience, nothing too technical but a descent challenge for the section of band you are describing. Would also fit into a concert programme to finish the first half maybe.

14. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions above. Are there any more suggestions. Anything out there for grade 2-3? I want to look at all these test pieces offered but I'm trying to have a good selection as well of different ranges of pieces.

15. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

The reason I'm asking for test pieces grade 2-3 compared to what I orifginally asked is because some members move on to the senior band and you have to start all over again, so some different suggestions would also be helpful.
    Thanks

16. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Old Eric Ball pieces maybe. I remember playing his "Young in Heart" when I was in a youth band. Also Ceramic City Festival by someone else!

17. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

Remember playing Thanet Seascapes with my youth band many years ago. So long ago I can't remember who wrote it. Think that it would be about the right level for you.

18. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I would have thought adventures in brass would definately be too hard. A little suite for brass has always been a classic for an easy test piece. Simon Wood wrote somthing for Hade Edge Youth Band years and years ago too which is even easier than a little suite for brass.

19. Despot

Despot Member

Ceramic City is by Stuart Johnson.

Drawcansir (Relton) is very straight forward. Northumbrian Suite (Johnston) is a little harder but still accessable. And yes, Young in Heart is also a good one.

All have the advantage of not putting the Solo Cornet above G. (I think!)

20. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Just been to the band's library and got "Young in Heart" and "Drawncansir", I will try these in the new year after the contest.

Thanks for all the suggestions, if any more great, but thanks for the help.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Indian Summer by Eric Ball is ideal

22. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Can't beat some of the old Eric Ball stuff.
    What about 'Petite Suite de Ballet' or 'A Psalm For All Nations'.