TEST PIECE SLOW MOVEMENTS

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jimortality, May 21, 2003.

1. jimortality

jimortality Member

I apologises if this has been debated recently, so tell me if it has and I will delete this. I was listening to Dove Descending this morning and oh my god that slow movement really does it for me. I think with Paggi Variations and Harrisons Dream, these 3 slow movements are the dogs watsits.

Jim Bari (no band at moment but negotiations are ongoing) watch this space.

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Other good ones in..

Year of the Dragon..
    Cambridge Variations
    Divertimento (Bryan Kelly) - (just finished playing this one.. great slow movement)

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Agreed with Jimbaritone and Keppler. Oh yes. But also remember:

Downland Suite
    Severn Suite (fugue)
    Moorside Suite
    Kenilworth
    Epic Symphony
    Rhapsody in Brass
    Pageantry
    Entertainments

or maybe I'm in the mood for classical restraint today.

D

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

I love the euph duet in Wilby's 'Revelation'

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you about Dove Descending - there was some thought of publishing it separately, but I don't know whether that has happened.

Another one for me is the centre section of Royal Parks, and, although not a test piece, My Treasure. Also In Memoriam R.K., that I think is not played as often as it should be.

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not a test piece either but the slow movement Appalachian Moutain Folk Song Suite is good.

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Adding to your non-test pieces Pete, what about the slow movement from Eric Ball's Songs of the Morning....lovely ending for euphs methinks.

8. Toby

Toby Member

My own favourite is Family Portrait from Lowry Sketchbook.

Toby Bannan

9. jimortality

jimortality Member

Although you've all mentioned some fabulous music, what I mean is, when you're listening to a particular slow movement and it really does it for you, whether it brings tears to your eyes or something a little more.............. well you know.

Jim Bari

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Spine-tingling might be the expression. when you are playing and you know that no other type of ensemble in the world can produce that feeling/emotion with that music, you just want to stop and appreciate it, but you daren't increase you stopping changes anything. you are too intertwined within the music and emotions to be able to stop. yeah, we've all had those feelings

A bit like in Brassed Off when they play Londonderry Air outside the hospital.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Open
    Ian Young
    Dove Descending
    Paggi Variations
  12. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Does it for me too....also got a soft spot for Priere a Notre-Dame from Suite Gothique....., it really is in the performance when it comes to the slow movements tho'
    Sud

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I first saw Brassed Off at an afternoon showing at the Odeon Leicester Square just before I went into work (I was working nights at the time). The cinema was only about a quarter full but I'm sure I wasn't the only one in tears then - and again when he gives his speech at the Albert Hall - but then I tend to get emotional watching films anyway.

Regarding personal experiences, I can recall three occasions when it has been very difficult to keep playing: One was playing the old selection Divine Communion when we were in Sunderland, one was My Treasure, where I was playing EEb bass and had to keep going or the whole thing would have sounded amiss, and the last and most recent time was following the sudden death of one of our horn players at Hadleigh, Mick Orford. He had died whilst on holiday, and the first that a lot of the band knew about it was during the Sunday night meeting. The band was asked to play at the close of the brief memorial section that the officer led. I believe we played Procesion to Covenant, although it may have been The Father's Blessing. Either way, it was an extremely emotional occasion, and you could see people playing though tear-clouded eyes, wanting to make it special in his memory.

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I remember a very sad occassion when an old conductor of mine's wife unfortunately passed away. At the next rehearsal he asked us to play Deep Harmony in her memory. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

15. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Enigma variations seems to be taking a bit of stick, but Nimrod must be up there with the best slow movements. :?:

16. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

How about 'Elaine' from Tintagel?

Janet

17. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

One of my favourites too! along with the Lento (2nd Movement) from the Joseph Horovitz Euphonium Concerto.

:wink:

18. Ahhhh the horn solo is luuuush :D

19. Curious

Curious Member

Try the middle movt of Gordon Jacob's Suite in Bflat (Solemn melody. I think).

20. Dan

Dan Member

The slow bit in Isaiah 40 is fantastic

21. jimortality

jimortality Member

I'll agree with the Staines massive on that choice as well, especially the cornet and the luurrvveelly Baritone duet, obviously the Baritone makes it extra special.

Jim B

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Open
    Ian Young
    Dove Descending
    Paggi Variations