Test piece from 1924....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ChrisHelme, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

I have recently received an e-mail from a band librarian in Perth, Australia - he tells me that one of his band's former conductors went on to conductor the Newcastle Steel Works Band in Australia and in 1924 this band came to the UK and entered the British Open of that year and won. The test piece that day was ‘Selection of Franz Liszt’ by Dr Thomas Keighley. He is now looking for either a set of the music or a score...can any one help

He appreciates it is not one for today's bands but asks fellow librarians to check out those old brown at the edge pieces that may be hidden away in the dark corners of the library.

I have enquired with those bands that are still around who also took part that year but unfortunately thay cannot help

Thank you

Chris Helme

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thomas Keighley
    librarian
    band
    FONT
    SIZE
  3. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Chris,

we have some very yellow music - I will check tonight and let you know!

4. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We don't have it sorry - and we have a lot of fusty old stuff, nothing that old i don't think...

5. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Old Music

Thanks - I know its an old piece and most bands will not have it but I am hoping someone has so I can help the librarian who contacted me in the first place from Australia.

Keep looking everyone

Regards

Chris

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I know I always say this where old music is concerned.....but get hold of someone at Besses.

They won the Open in 1920, and that was the start of the Willie Wood era when they were going to the contest on a regular basis....I'm pretty sure I remember it from when I upgraded the library catalogue to PC donkeys years ago, but these things tend to sound the same :hammer

8. thepirate

thepirate New Member

Is there anyone on TMP from Creswell Colliery? They came second to Newcastle Steel Works that day. {Harton Colliery came third.} Good chance they still have a copy.

Steve.

WSB Toronto.

9. kensar

kensar Member

Yes. Creswell Colliery have(Had!) this in the library.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Contact Doyen Arhcive Centre i dont know the number but Nick Childs as a lot of very old music in his Brass Band Museum.