Test Piece endings..........

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Hi all,

Was just having a listen through some Queen on my ipod when Contest Music came on (cos am cool), and, because of my coolness i started wondering what everyone thinks is the best ending to a test piece out there. Personally i'll opt for either Dances and Alleluias or Contest Music.

Anyone else?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Test Piece
    Alleluias
    Contest Music
    Test Piece endings
    cos
  3. Yea the Queen version of Contest Music is brilliant :D

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The first ones that comes to my mind are Harrison's Dream and St Magnus

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Possibly better than the Brass Band version of Bohemian Rhapsody....

Best ending to a piece - Resurgam for me. Proof that a test piece doesn't have to end on a fff major chord.

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

With the sop splitting a top B :biggrin:

7. Masterblaster jnr

Well actually i figured out that the sop note at the end of Contest Music is a top B in concert pitch, so in that case it would be top G# i think? (coolness)

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Goes without saying.

Or even worse, the sop trying to put the last note up an octave and making a hash of it. If I'm ever conducting a band and the sop does that, I'll hold the last note on just that little bit longer than the sop can play his super top Z# or whatever. Same goes for bass players doing silly pedals in the wrong place!

9. Hells Bones

True, it is a G#.

I was being facetious about the amount of test pieces that finish on a big Concert Bb major chord with Soprano screaming away on the high mediant.

Maybe we should make a list of them all?

10. Hells Bones

HAHAHAHAHA! Meanie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Masterblaster jnr

Or not. :p

There are a lot which start on a Bb timp roll too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Test Piece
    Alleluias
    Contest Music
    Test Piece endings
    cos
  13. Hells Bones

We should have a game of "Name the testpiece" with just the last chord being played.
    That would be hilarious.

14. Kjata

Kjata Member

Doesn't anyone think contest music has the most textbook and boring ending ever cause I do!! The whole peice is great but it ends so predictably! :(

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

no of course it doesn't, but I still like the ending of Harrison's Dream ;)

16. Kjata

Kjata Member

I think that battle creek has a good quiet ending with a loud shock chord to finish!! Delish lol!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Absolutely agree.
    The last 30 or so bars of Resurgam from the quiet repitition of the theme, up to that gorgeous climax and down to that totally relaxed and sated ending are magic, and leave me emotionally drained.
    So pseudo orgasmic that I feel the need for a cigarette as that final chord comes to an end, and I haven't smoked for over 10 years !!!
    Sorry Mods but it is exactly how I feel about it.

- Wilkie

18. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

PS: For best QUIET OPENING, I like "Judges" and "Le Roi D'Ys".
    Orchestral I know, but very atmospheric music which ever genre performes it.

- Wilkie

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Tallis.

One of those endings you know nobody will ever applaud over, because Mr Sparke has woven such magic over the last quarter of an hour (and particularly the last 45 seconds or so) that everyone listening is so intent on not breaking the spell they hardly dare breathe....

If I ever write anything half that brilliant, I can die a happy man.

20. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

i think the Four Cities symphony is one of the best best pieces i've ever played

21. jaycee

jaycee New Member

I'm sorry - but I feel that at the end of "Tallis Variations" Mr Sparke got the pacing all wrong - to me it doesn't feel that the end is the right length, like he got there and thought "I might as well finish it now". If you want a well measured quiet end, try "The Devil and the deep blue sea" (however variable the rest of the piece), "Volcano" (dare I say), or on the outside - Mahler 9 or "Das Lied" or even "Mr Blue Sky".

A good finish - how about "Year of the Dragon" and yes I'm with you all on "Resurgam", but as a euphist I've got to put a vote in for the super E at the end of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".

22. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

How about the ending of Concertino by Kenneth Downie... Thats a great ending.... But best ending ever must be St. Magnus.... Pete Roberts on top B for 9 sec. fff .... :)