Test piece database

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by JessopSmythe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a definitive list of "approved" test pieces? Peferably graded by reccommended section
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. oddbod

oddbod Member

I don't know - but it's a cracking idea... We could start one here - even on a Google spreadsheet....
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

SCABA has one.

It is based on local gradings, of course.
  5. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Hi Folks

So do SCABBA not have a 4th section then!?!
  6. Owen S

Owen S Member

"SCABA", only one B (it's the Southern Counties Amateur Bands Association), but no, they don't. :)

Bear in mind that it covers a smaller area than the London and Southern Counties region for the qualifiers. SCABA contests usually see bands from Kent, Sussex and Surrey (about a third of the L&SCR region) with Hampshire (now Western region) plus a few from further afield, including a couple of Belgian bands. To get a reasonable number in each section, this means the top section also includes about half the nationally first section bands, the first section includes the rest, plus most second section bands and even one or two third, the second section includes the rest of the second and third sections plus several fourth and the third section includes the rest of the fourth section plus several bands who are nationally ungraded.
  7. matthewruel

matthewruel New Member

8. JessopSmythe

OK, it took me a little while but HERE it is.

Have fun!
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just a blank page Piers... is this the correct link?
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Works OK for me.....
  11. JessopSmythe

I was trying out a couple of tweaks in the code, so some browsers may have had the problem with the blank page for a few minutes until I sorted it. It's all up and running fine again now.
  12. Owen S

Owen S Member

Interesting, and will be useful as a historical record as well as giving ideas to MDs.

Any chance of modifying the code so that you don't force the size of the table displaying the list of the pieces? Almost half my screen is blank when I look at it. Ta.
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

What a great idea, hope you can pull it off and complete it, it'll be an amazingly useful tool, particularly if we can get some reviews/descriptions of the piece, maybe even some sound clips or references to recordings that are available.

One suggestion, could we have a way of sorting the results by each different catagory?
  14. JessopSmythe

That's probably the next development. Everything so far has been done with free code as a sort of pilot. Once I'm happy that the principle all works and that there is a demand for it, I'll upgrade to the full version of the database package.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  15. harri_bari

harri_bari New Member

Great piece of work, just what we've been needing...

On a more personal note, as a recent returner to the brass band world, it's great to see some familliar test piece names and remember back to when they were played.

A list like this really does go to show how things change though with the number of ex-Championship pieces making the move down into lower sections.

Good luck and keep it up... could be a real hit!
  16. JessopSmythe

Had a bit of a break from the site update but it's back on track now. The database now contains a complete listing for the British Open. That means it goes all the way back to 1853!

Click Here to see it
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  17. JessopSmythe

Oops sorry, got a bit behind with the site.

I finally caught up and added all the missing pieces from 2007 / 2008 to the database.

Will make a determined effort to get the archive complete too, there's about 100 years worth of Nationals and Areas testpieces to get on there.

In the meantime, what the site is really missing is some reviews of testpieces. Who's going to be brave and submit the first one?
  18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Just a quick one, in 1996 areas it was Divertimento by Bryan Kelly, you've listed Intermezzo which was the 3rd movement of it! (We were 2nd that year!) 4br have it listed that way too, so I guess you copied them!!

Heres a thread from last week which Whatsharp and SBBA have both got a Regionals list!