Test piece contests in the Yorkshire area?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nomperism, Mar 11, 2009.

1. nomperism

nomperism Member

My band are fairly new to contesting and a lot of the band feel (after our second area contest) that we need to get a lot more experience to combat nerves, and just feel generally more settled into contesting.

I have been given the task to find out if there are any Test Piece Contests in the yorkshire area in the next 6 months for us to go to.

All suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Elle Long :)
    Contest Secretary
    Flugel
    Deepcar Brass Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    Yorkshire
    band
    contesting
    Cheers
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Pogson Bray Contest, Watch the Text advert bar above for our thread.

Sunday 5th April, 10.30 ish start, 3rd 4th section. Own choice test piece and hymn tune, only £20 to enter, Best 4th section prize and the chance to upset some of those from the 3rd section who think they are good!!

PM me for more details, but most of it's on our thread. . .

Cheers
    Garry.

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

5. nomperism

nomperism Member

Hehe.

Yes I knew about that one. Unfortunately its my husband's 40th on that date and we're having a party the night before, wouldn't want to be worse for wear on the day of a contest!
    Any other ideas?!

6. Blossom

Blossom Member

There's one at Holmfirth. Don't know the date but sure someone on here will know and give you date and contact details.

Date and contact details for Holmfirth, someone please :?:

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

26th of April i believe. i'm pretty sure either deepcar or ireland colliery were down to play last year but withdrew so the contact details should be easily accessible.

8. Col

Col Member

Contests

I may not be in Yorkshire but Buxton in early May isn't too far and is an excellent day with a free choice test peice in sectional competitions.

Col

9. nomperism

nomperism Member

Ey. Buxton does sound like a good contest. Do you know where I can get the details to enter?

Elle
    Deepcar Brass

10. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

buxton is supposed to be good, i think james played with someone last year, ask him on friday at band
    i dont think i want to play alisman anymore though, it was bad enough playing it for areas, playing it for any other reason is just evil

11. nomperism

nomperism Member

Well yeah, but I think gav has changed his mind about burning it!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    Yorkshire
    band
    contesting
    Cheers
  13. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

well im sure most of the band will have something to say about that, especially james and viv

14. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

Geraint, did i teach you nothing, the Talisman is a very good test piece, it tests the band which a test piece is designed to do, i don't recommend playing it at concerts(boring to listen to), but you did well with it at areas, a little more work and it could work for you, just remember that not all the men in the box and contest secretaries like bands playing area test pieces at their contests.

good luck and see you on the road.

15. JR

JR Member

Yorks Contests

I'll give Holmfirth a plug...

And if there's still no registration (?) you could borrow a few (within reason - don't want camera crew from Channel 4 racing to turn up looking for ringers..)

There were many more test piece contests in Yorks a few years ago e.g. Ossett, Huddersfield Association (Spring and Winter), Tadcaster, Keighley, Sheffield CISWO

John R