Test Piece and Failing Memory!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by on_castors, May 12, 2011.

1. on_castors

on_castors Member

Maybe it's just a "Senior Moment," but recently playing through Palestrina's "Victory" it triggered a memory of a 4th (possibly 3rd) Section test piece I played in the early or mid 90's which I clearly remember as being based on that tune, and a sea shanty with a name like "Lazy Joan," or Something or other Joan! (which I can't even find a reference to!). After that my mental clarity has clouded a bit!

I can't even remember if it was for an Area Contest or Durham BB Association contest, but I do remember it being downright bizarre, and frankly awful, but it's sticking in my gullet!

Google has not been my friend in this particular case, and I was wondering if someone can put me out of my misery and tell me it's title, and/or composer so I can get back to a normal sleeping pattern ;-)
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Don't think it can be Denis Wright's 'Joan of Arc'...
  3. on_castors

on_castors Member

Nope, nothing so epic! ;-)
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A longshot but Denis Wright wrote "A Sea Overture" but still sounds more challenging than 3rd or 4th Section ...
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Found it ... Stephen Bulla's "Chorale & Toccata" ... :cool::tup
  6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I remember playing Chorale & Toccata in the Third Section Area. I remember it was one of the better pieces the third section was given to play. I believe it was 1994 it was used.
  7. on_castors

on_castors Member

Could it be I have HALF forgotten the most instantly forgettable Test Piece in the history of the Genre? ;-)
  8. on_castors

on_castors Member

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Don't know the piece, but what about Bruce Fraser's "The Seafarers" (...only name-dropping)
  10. T Winch

T Winch Member

I think this melody featured in a piece called A Leadsman, a Lady and a Lord. It was the 3rd section area testpiece some time in the 90s
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You are probably right ... "A Leadsman, a Lady & a Lord
    for large brass ensemble with percussion
    The Jolly Sailor, Lovely Joan, Lord Bateman"

12. on_castors

on_castors Member

If only it had been that sophisticated!I was a travesty to the main Palestrina theme!

In fact It was so UN-sophisticated, it was memorable by the name we gave to it, which I can't repeat here, but this is a hint:

If Martin Humphrey from Riverside Brass was on here, he would SURELY remember it! ;-)