Test Piece and Failing Memory!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by on_castors, May 12, 2011.

1. on_castors

on_castors Member

Maybe it's just a "Senior Moment," but recently playing through Palestrina's "Victory" it triggered a memory of a 4th (possibly 3rd) Section test piece I played in the early or mid 90's which I clearly remember as being based on that tune, and a sea shanty with a name like "Lazy Joan," or Something or other Joan! (which I can't even find a reference to!). After that my mental clarity has clouded a bit!

I can't even remember if it was for an Area Contest or Durham BB Association contest, but I do remember it being downright bizarre, and frankly awful, but it's sticking in my gullet!

Google has not been my friend in this particular case, and I was wondering if someone can put me out of my misery and tell me it's title, and/or composer so I can get back to a normal sleeping pattern ;-)

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Don't think it can be Denis Wright's 'Joan of Arc'...

3. on_castors

on_castors Member

Nope, nothing so epic! ;-)

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A longshot but Denis Wright wrote "A Sea Overture" but still sounds more challenging than 3rd or 4th Section ...

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Found it ... Stephen Bulla's "Chorale & Toccata" ... :cool::tup

6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I remember playing Chorale & Toccata in the Third Section Area. I remember it was one of the better pieces the third section was given to play. I believe it was 1994 it was used.

7. on_castors

on_castors Member

Could it be I have HALF forgotten the most instantly forgettable Test Piece in the history of the Genre? ;-)

8. on_castors

on_castors Member

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Don't know the piece, but what about Bruce Fraser's "The Seafarers" (...only name-dropping)

10. T Winch

T Winch Member

I think this melody featured in a piece called A Leadsman, a Lady and a Lord. It was the 3rd section area testpiece some time in the 90s

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Joan
    Google
    Victory
    Palestrina
    Lazy Joan
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You are probably right ... "A Leadsman, a Lady & a Lord
    for large brass ensemble with percussion
    The Jolly Sailor, Lovely Joan, Lord Bateman"

http://members.iinet.net.au/~tallpoppies/t2.cgi?tp=cd&val=199

13. on_castors

on_castors Member

If only it had been that sophisticated!I was a travesty to the main Palestrina theme!

In fact It was so UN-sophisticated, it was memorable by the name we gave to it, which I can't repeat here, but this is a hint:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGLNYAgL-8

If Martin Humphrey from Riverside Brass was on here, he would SURELY remember it! ;-)