Terror Alert Status

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just a thought regarding the upgrading last week to a Critical status for Terror Alerts defined as " CURRENT THREAT LEVEL: CRITICAL This means an attack is expected imminently"

So if the security services knew about the attack then they presummably know the who, the what, the where and the how - so why then create the revised rules for travelling on aircraft? Unless of course they didn't know the specifics and were just speculating.

The alert level has now returned to "CURRENT THREAT LEVEL: SEVERE This means that an attack is "highly likely" and indicates a continuing high level of threat to the UK.

Not much difference really between one and the other. Bearing in mind that the type of device found at Luton July last year was I think liquid based - how come it takes a "known" threat to bring about the current restrictions on taking liquid on board an airplane? Why wasn't this concidered after the event last July?

Not particularly taking an issue here however it will be interesting to see out of the 24 people currently being questioned how many will subsequently be tried and found guilty of the alleged offence.

And if this threat was so severe and imminent how come our Prime Minister wasn't heading back from his holiday to deal with this?
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

The security services always show a high level of awareness prior to any attempted attacks, yet within a few weeks people relax. Surely this is going to mean that terrorists can make another attempt sooner than anticipated?

It may be true that we are highly likely to have another attack in the near future, so it would make sense for the security services to always be on guard and not decide that the danger is over within a few weeks. After July 7th, another attack was able to occur just two weeks later, and although this failed, it was not because the plot was found out. Maybe people should owrk to protect the country against terrorists rather than worrying about minor offences such as political correctness?
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Maybe he was too scared to fly lol!:biggrin:
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Do you honestly think that would have made any difference? I'm convinced he's as useless in London as he is on holiday! :biggrin:
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There's been a large amount of discussion over here in the US about terror threat levels in recent months. We have a five-level color system (green, blue, yellow, orange, red). We've never been below yellow, and probably never will be (so why have those levels at all?). In addition, there has been little or no information to the general public about what to do when the level is changed - to most of us they really mean nothing.

In terms of liquids, there was a plot uncovered in 1995 :eek: that involved almost the exact method in the most recent event. Yet nothing was done at that time other than to file things away.

I also think that prohibiting items will not ever make planes secure, unless you ban all luggage of any kind. Even checked baggage is not really safe - there are plenty of ways to set up explosives to trigger on things like changes in pressure or temperature in the hold of an airliner, or on the vast amount of electronic noise associated with modern fly-by-wire control systems. Eventually, someone with enough engineering skill will get one of those devices past the screening processes.
  6. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Yes, in light of recent events you would expect instructions about what to do in emergencies issued. However, I am yet to see anything other than airport queues on the news. Does anybody agree with me- the news is now simply showing airport queues and giving very little important information?
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I think, Flutey, it that the reality is that us ordinary folks can't really do very much. I certainly haven't really changed my life in any significant way despite living in one of the prime target areas. I have made some general emergency preparations, but nothing really specific to terrorist incidents.
  8. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

That is true but maybe there should be something that we can do in case of an attack, even if it's something as simple as trying not to use phone lines so that emergency services can be more accessible... I remember that from 7/7...
    What's it like being in America through the attacks? Must be worse than in Britain.
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It was quite bad just after 9/11, particulary in the Washington area (and in New York), because we were actually targeted. In general, things have pretty much adjusted now -- there are some permanent changes, but nothing really difficult for most people.

One of the most sobering experiences I've ever had happened a couple of weeks after 9/11. The Salvation Army in Washington had scheduled a Music Councils for that weekend, which was to feature the New York Staff Band. Obviously, this event was cancelled. However, we had a permit for a concert at the Jefferson Memorial, which was still valid despite the events. After some discussion, we decided to go ahead and have the National Capital Band use the permit and play the concert (Saturday, 23 Sep 2001). The first thing that was disturbing was how quiet it was - there is normally quite a bit of jet noise from National Airport there, but at that time no flights were happening. Towards the end of the concert, we heard some jet noise, and noted that there were several fighter jets circling over the city. Then three helicopters appeared over the White House (which is easily visible from the Jefferson). One landed at the White House, and the other two circled out to return to their base - coming right over the Memorial. This has happened before when I've been there, but this was the only time that the choppers had their doors open and gunners in place - with .50-cal. machine guns ready to fire.
  10. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Blimey... must have been scary!
    On the day of 7/7 I was taking my grade 5 flute exam, and I am so glad I did because if I hadn't, my mum would have been up in the affected area of London. As it was, my local area (and the road right next to my exam centre) ended up being closed off after a package was found in an underpass. Although it turned out to be nothing, traffic was disrupted and Croydon was literally swarming with police. That was quite scary because my dad is a texi driver and uses that underpass a lot... I dread to think what would have happened if something really had been there. The lady who checked people into the flute exams that morning was desperately trying to contact her daughter who had been travelling through East Aldgate at the time the bombs went off... so many people I know had very lucky mistakes, like missing the train that was blown up and having to get the next one... scary to think how many people can be affected, it's a much wider scale than many realise.
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

But we don't need him, we've got Prezza!
  12. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Yes... I think that I could run the country better than 2 jags! Anyone fancy giving it a shot with me?!
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

If, having done some research on the above site, you still feel inclined to be PM, feel free.

It takes at least 20 years in politics (from your first contact with your local political party) to get there.

Should you get there, remember - tax breaks for Bb Bass players and tMP owners...
  14. vonny

vonny Member

I think this thread is becoming 'off topic' as it started off by dicussing the terror status... now it's turned into a personal opinionated thread about politics.
  15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I see we can now take hand luggage "up to the size of a lap-top case".
    I'm kind of hoping they might relax the rules a little bit more by Monday... I am sooo not looking forward to this.
    I also have a vague sense of "bolting the stable door after the horse has ******ed off". It's all to the good, but surely we should be doing things like this all the time, not just after theyve discovered a nasty new plot. Oh dear.

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's heart warming to know that the security services and airport staff at Gatwick have tightened security so much that only one runaway boy was able to get a seat on a plane unchallenged until just before the plane was due to take off. :eek:

It's staggering!! What if this lad had actually been someone with murderous intentions? Ok the plane didn't leave the ground with him on it, but had he been someone hell bent on bringing the plane down he would have had plenty of chance to plant something somewhere before they realised he shouldn't be there.

Unbelievable. At the very outside the furthest he should have been able to get was the boarding gate where his lack of boarding pass should have barred his way on to the the aircraft.

makes you feel all safe inside doesn't it?
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

In fairness to BAA and Monach it has been stated that he went through the proper "security checks" before he got on the aircraft i.e. metal detectors and bag search (or no bag check) However what were the passport people doing? Don't they check youngster's passports. Presumably he only got caught when the staff on the aircraft did the head count against boarding card numbers issued.
  18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Whenever I've flown (admittedly not often) I've had my boarding pass checked 3 times before I've got to my seat - once just before the metal detector, once as you walk down the skyway, and finally by the steward / stewardess on the plane. Then again, I don't fly with budget airlines so maybe the situation is different?
  19. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Over here, the airlines have nothing to do with security checks - it's all done by government screeners. Three boarding pass checks - once when you drop off your checked baggage for screening, once when you pass through the security checkpoint (metal detectors, etc) and once when you board the aircraft.
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've only ever flown once, to Corfu, and was amazed at how easliy i got on and off the plane at both ends! My passport wasn't looked at once, and if I was metal detected or Xrayed they did it without me knowing (not being terribly used to airports I wouldn't know so they could have checked me without me realising I was being checked) but if they did then it wasn't half discrete cos I didn't spot a thing!! In hidsight it was quite alarming, I could have had anything on my person and no-one would have known. Ok, I apreciate that holiday flights to Corfu probably aren't top of the terrorists hit list, but even so, the security then was totally non existant. :-?