territorial army bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bobbyp, Jul 21, 2009.

1. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Does anybody know a territorial army band in the midlands, wind band or brass band, and what strings are attached to becoming a territorial army musician? I cant seem to find this on the army website, just regular army musicians.
  2. Bones

Bones Member

There are 3 Bands.

The Nottingham Band of the Royal Engineers
    Bulwell TA Centre, Hucknall Lane, Nottingham, NG6 8AQ
    Band Office - 0115 927 2251 (Extension 113)
    Email - nottsreband@googlemail.com
    BSM - Paul Thomas, Bandmaster - Simon Kerwin

The Band of The Mercian Regiment
    Wolseley House, Fallings Park, Wolverhampton, WV10 9QR
    Band office - 01902 3038535

The Band of The Royal Anglian Regiment
    TA Centre, London Road, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE2 9BY
    Band office - 01733 358775
    Email - rangband-psi@tanet.mod.uk

http://www.army.mod.uk/music/tabands.aspx will give you some more details.

From what I am aware, commitment is a few training weekends, a 2 week band camp in the summer, the engagement and weekly rehearsals. There is a basic fitness test as well as all soldiers would have to go through.

Depending on where you live, will determine which band you go for.

3. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

thank you :)
  4. Bones

Bones Member

Where abouts are you based and what do you play
  5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

As well as playing in a Band you will be required to undergo basic military training and expected to go to war.

My old TA band - The Middlesex Yeomanry - were "disbanded" in the 60s but carried on playing, better if you could find a band like that.

6. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I play in a disbanded TA band in Coventry that kept going after SDR in 1999.We still wear military uniform and are affiliated to The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.We do a lot of jobs for various Regimental Associations in the Midlands.And a few TA mess jobs.
    We have our 10th Anniversary this year.And we are holding a concert on the 6th of September to mark the occasion at The Central Methodist Hall in Coventry.A lot of our players have never been in the military,but come along to play and enjoy.
    I am the solo cornet player.But play for Cubbington Silver Band when contesting and playing in concerts.If you live in the area,why dont you come along and have a blow.PM me if you want to get more details.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

But do you get paid?? that's why a lot of players join the TA bands.