Terra Australis - Martin Ellerby

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by scjb, Dec 17, 2006.

1. scjb

scjb Member

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It was only recorded by Radio 3 from the RNCM Festival Of Brass this year.
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

ybs did it in australia so i dont know whether it on their australia cd?? cant remember what its called thou...:)
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

sorry...nope its not just had a look lol...thought it might have been!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There has been some discussion as to whether YBS have recorded it and it may be awaiting release.
  6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Your best bet I believe, would be to have chat nicely to Prof. King :D
  7. Y B S Band

Y B S Band Member

The only brass band recording is from the RNCM Festival of Brass 2006 where YBS played it. It was later broadcast on Listen to the Band BBC Radio 2 and so an archive recording may be available.
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Does this mean that none of the concerts on the Australian tour were recorded either? From the reviews of the tour and the more recent events, a highlights CD and or DVD would be an impressive legacy......"Kings of Australia.......too!" ;). On the other hand it might just be a sadly missed opportunity.

However, as has been stated repeatedly, a fabulous dynasty has come to an end and I count myself very fortunate to have heard YBS live on three ocassions during that era. Thank you Professor King and all associated with YBS thus far and best wishes for the future.
  9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Its been recorded in its Wind Band version by the Royal Marines Band Service and can be purchased from here!!

I know its not the brass band version but if this helps.....
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- so ... like Harrison's Dream (Graham), this is another work originally written for wind band then later adapted for brass band? Interesting!

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe that it was the wind band version that was commissioned by the marines following YBS playing the brass band original.
  12. scjb

scjb Member

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll get hold of the RM version in the meantime and have a listen.

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe they should have mentioned that on the website, don't you think? Very difficult to tell with compositions that can bridge brass and winds. Chicken and Egg dilemma ... the composer is there to make money.
  14. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

To be honest our PDM is a BIG brass band guy so he probably heard them and then asked for them to be written for wind band. There are also versions of Year of the Dragon and Resurgam for wind band too. Although the Trombone solo is re written for oboe in YotD!!!!!
  15. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I assume you meant 'earn a living' ??? ;)
  16. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

English Horn, actually - sounds quite nice!
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oboes and English Horns are fantastic instruments :)
  18. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

To answer all I have this recording from the above mentioned from RNCM Festival of Brass 2006 where YBS played it. I'm in the middle of putting it together would anyone like to hear it or would you rather wait till 09.10.10 ?
  19. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have a CD with this on. it is
    " The Nationals Australia 2007 " and it is played by Brisbane Excelsior Band
    other Tracks inc
    In this Quiet moment - Brisbane Excelsior
    Journey to The Cente of The Earth - Brisbane Excelsior
    Ravenswood _ Brisbane Excelsior
    Vienna Nights - Kew Band Melb.
    Mercury - Kew Band Melb
    St Magnus - K & N Brass
    The Jaguar - Sth Brisbane Federal Band
    ORB - Footcray & Yarraville Band
    a Top CD. I thought World of Brass Might have it but they seem to stop at Nationals 2006. I'm sure if you write to

Musso's Media
    PO Box 1188
    Kangaroo Flat
    Vic 3555

they will let you know how you can obtain a copy
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I should have mentioned in the list above
    "Terra Australis" is the first track on the CD
    "The Nationals Australia 2007"