Tenor Trombone - suggested beginners instrument

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by TwinnyRB, Nov 2, 2010.

1. TwinnyRB

TwinnyRB New Member

Hi all,

Seen lot's of Bass bones available but no Tenors!

My son's been playing a few months and has really taken to it. I'd like to buy him a new instrument for christmas (get rid of the shocking school instrument :wink:), nothing too flash or expensive at this stage, maybe around the £150 to £200 mark.

Don't really fancy E-bay as I don't really know what's good or bad.

Any suggestions?

2. Platt2Dodd

Platt2Dodd New Member

I'm having a clear out ring me on 07882 367902 to dicuss
  3. Despot

Despot Member

A Vincent Bach Prelude would under 200 pounds.

Very common, Normans, Band Supplies etc will have them.
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Two options as I see it -
    1) Get a JP Rath new. They're not much more than £200, and unlike anything else new on the market at that price, are actually good bones.
    2) Go second-hand. Speak to a local pro trombone teacher - they'll probably be able to help you source something good for the money.
  5. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

My band has a JP Rath trombone, which looks and sounds good. If you want to come along to Lofthouse on Thursday you can have a look at it.

Would recommend if you're looking for a new tenor.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I recommend the JP/Rath 230. It's a reasonably priced student instrument that's good enough to be used at a much higher level. I've recently been using one in the pit at Opera North.
  7. My son started on a Conn Director. He became BBC young musician at the age of 12 so it didn't do him much harm. Great value and well put together.
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I start my very young learners on Alto. You can pick one up from Virtuosi for £150.
  9. TwinnyRB

TwinnyRB New Member

Thanks for all your advice.

Given the JP231 Rath has been mentioned a fair few times over recent weeks and on here I've opted for one, ex-demo, great value if all the comments are accurate.

Cheers everyone.