Tenor Horns

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HBB, Jun 13, 2005.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hi All,

My Yamaha Maestro Tenor Horn is not as good as it used to be... the 3rd valve is not as good as it used to be and won't respond to oil or (sometimes, if I'm the right mood) a little TLC.

I want (need if my parents are looking) a new horn and am wondering what to try/get.

The Bessons are from hearsay getting worse and I don't want to be stuck with dodgy valves on a brand-spanking new instrument.

Your thoughts please?

Ben

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maestro Tenor Horn
    mood
    All
    Yamaha
    valve
  3. gargoyle

gargoyle Member

Horns

Ive always had a Besson and never had any problems with them!

Never rated Yamaha Horns myself!

Gargoyle
    BTM Band

4. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Try and get hold of one of the old boothsy and hawkes sovereigns, 2 of my mates (yes Ben I have friends) play on them and they love them. The cornets are pretty darn nice too!

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

What do the rest of the section play on?

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Try all the ones you can.... everything....

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Errr.....tenor horns?... ;)

Shouldnt make much of a difference really, depends on how you play. I recently bought a 1974 B & H Sov, and its lovely! Much better than my two Besson Sov's!
    The problem is they are pretty hard to come by, and are normally quite pricey! (But worth it!)

8. vonny

vonny Member

Hey ben, my advice to you would be to 'give up' it seems you are a bit rough and ready.... awwwwww your poor horn too;) . I think you should take up dustbin lid drumming, i could borrow you a dustbin lid, and also 2 wooden spoons... and just think you'll be an invaluable assest to the band!!!!!

Joking aside - my sis once played on a boosey and hawks tenor horn , and thought it was cool.... I guess it's up to you really!!! Happy choosing :p

Yvonne

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

One Sov, one Maestro!

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If you're really set on a new horn, then by all means look into getting one. But if you'd like to save the one you have, get the instrument to a qualified repair professional and have them look at the condition of the plastic valve guide. Yamaha uses a quite soft plastic (nylon?) that will wear to the point where the valve can stick simply from slight rotation from your finger pressure. Sometimes simply having the valve guide replaced can renew the performance of the valve.

I have played extensively on Yamaha baris and euphs and find them superior to the Besson products, except in this one area, that the valve guides are often subject to excessive wear.

11. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Hey, i have just purchased a gold sovereign that is about 6/7 years old and it is great! lovely sound , fab valves, i would definetly recomend it!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maestro Tenor Horn
    mood
    All
    Yamaha
    valve
  13. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Hoover got a full set of instruments back in 1997 after the nice people at the National Lottery gave us spondoolies. However, after about a week, all of the horns had to go back as the valves were scraping!!

I went back to my own Besson sov, which is now about 15 years old, & I've never used another horn since. It shouldn't be, but the bore feels much bigger & the valves seem better than the newer models. However, I do get my valves recalibrated once a year. Costs about £50, but its worth every penny.

14. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

SOVS! The way forward :p lol!

They make a lovely sound, better in tune. OK my valves were really dodgey after about 3 years of buying it, but after having them worked on for a while, they're ok now!

And I love my baby :) Lol! Wouldn't swop it for anything!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

16. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

17. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Seems to me that there are two questions - Do you want to fix the valves or do you want a new/different horn.

If you are content with the horn otherwise, an investment is valve maintenence shouldn't be too major. I've heard about the nylon valve guide issue with the Yamaha's too. In addition to wearing, I've heard talk about some of them being poorly finished brand new. If you look at them under magnification, some of them have little shards of nylon sticking out of the sides, if you take a razor blade and carefully trim those, it can improve performance, but from the age of horn it sounds like wear is more likely the problem. If you have them replaced just be sure they look at the finish of the new ones. There's also the general cleanlines of the valve and casing, any uneven wear and springs to consider. A trip to a good repairman should get you back in order.

If you want a different horn, then I think you've gotten plenty of advice. I ended up getting a new Maestro a couple of years ago, mostly because the section is all yamaha. I'm not overly happy with some of the intonation of the horn, but I'm also not really happy with the paying shape I'm in personnally, so before I go blaming the horn, I have a lot of work to do.

18. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Have You Tried the Pot Noodle Horn...??

Its Big and its Brassy, and you'll want to blow it...